Q for those familiar with MagnaCleanse flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title, I have a Q those who are familiar with the MagnaCleanse flush (not the MagnaClean filter) may be able to answer...

I was wondering whether the VibraClean element should be done before or after the flush? I had a new boiler fitted very recently and the engineer did the VibraClean (tool attached to a drill) at the very last point in the installation. I don’t believe he did a flush after this as he was packed up ready to go 20 minutes after finishing using the VibraClean.

I’m no boiler engineer but it seems odd that you would release all the crud into the new system, having done the MagnaCleanse flush first?

I was going to contact the company but was hoping those ‘in the know’ could advise if this was the correct procedure for a MagnaCleanse flush? The boiler is a Worcester Bosch and for the guarantee a flush has to be performed, I can’t say for certain if the flush was performed as the boiler is in an attached garage so I couldn’t see what he was doing.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sponsored Links
It should be done during the Magnacleanse flush

Thank you, in your experience if the VibraClean happened 2:45pm-3pm and the engineer was all packed up and finished at 3:20pm do you think it’s likely the flush was taking place? As at 2:30pm there was nothing hooked up to the boiler as I took a drink through.

Sponsored Links
Certainly an unusual way of doing it. The instructions can be found here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjADegQILxAH&usg=AOvVaw3nY4VtfJMh9nz3gM-RR0U8

Thanks, I had tried googling but didn’t come across this... he definitely didn’t do each radiator and flush until clean - he just did the VibraClean on each radiator one after the other in the house from 2:45-3:00 - no going to the boiler to see it run clear/clean the filter after each one - and then was packed up and finished by 3:20

Do you think this is likely to cause an issue ie the system will still be full of the crud?

Isolate and clean the RapidFlush filter as required. Using Personal Protective Equipment i.e. gloves and paper towels, wipe off any magnetite into a bucket. Waste should be bagged and thrown away. When satisfied, open up the next radiator, turn off the treated radiator and repeat the process until all radiators are clean.

Thanks all, I’ll contact the company today - I just wanted to have some awareness as to whether this was normal/correct as being clueless I am easily fobbed off!

The company got back to me, they provided a photo of the MagnaCleanse attached to the boiler so the flush did take place - although it doesn't show what time.

I explained that the engineer only did the VibraClean after I had asked about it and my concern was that the detritus was still in the system. The engineer was actually finished and completely packed up 15 minutes after the VibraClean was finished which doesn't seem a lot of time for the flush to continue, if indeed the MagnaCleanse was still hooked up at that stage.

Either way I can only rely on the person I spoke to (not the one who carried out the work) who believes that 15 minutes would have beeen sufficient for the MagnaCleanse to do it's job after the VibraClean, if it was indeed still attached.

The company got back to me, they provided a photo of the MagnaCleanse attached to the boiler so the flush did take place - although it doesn't show what time.

Doesn't mean that it was performed properly, just means it was connected.

who believes that 15 minutes would have beeen sufficient for the MagnaCleanse to do it's job after the VibraClean, if it was indeed still attached

Never in a month of Sundays can I see how it could it be done that fast, how many rads? The rads need filled half way with a cleaner in it, the system warmed, the vibration performed on each rad separately with the others off, while the system's running. Then the system needs drained and flushed through and checked again.

If you want to be sure you can get a testing kit and get it sent away. Do you know what inhibitor was used?

Doesn't mean that it was performed properly, just means it was connected.

Never in a month of Sundays can I see how it could it be done that fast, how many rads? The rads need filled half way with a cleaner in it, the system warmed, the vibration performed on each rad separately with the others off, while the system's running. Then the system needs drained and flushed through and checked again.

If you want to be sure you can get a testing kit and get it sent away. Do you know what inhibitor was used?

Thanks, I can see from the photo that it was connected but I'm doubtful that it was connected when the VibraClean was done... reason being is that he only did the VibraClean after I prompted him, saying that I'd seen on the website it was part of the flush. I've got no criticism of the fitter in general, he was hard working and professional but as at 14:30 there was no machine hooked up, he came in the house 14:45-15:00 to do the VibraClean, then came back in at 15:11 bringing the biscuits and mug back in ie packing up, he then went back out and had totally packed up/finished by 15:15 (I know the times as I get notifications on my front door CCTV).

There's 7 radiators in total, I think the radiators would have had the cleaner put in earlier as he did turn the heating right up at one stage (way before the VibraClean) but he did one radiator after the other with the VibraClean without going out to the boiler in between.

According to the paperwork the cleaner used was MC+1 and the inhibitor MC+3. I'd be interested in the test kit if you could give me some more info please, as I said to the person I spoke with today I'm concerned that I've had the expense of a new boiler but without the proper flush taking place which could leave the system at risk.

You’re left with checking if the job was done properly and being able to evidence it. Here’s a few suggestions. Check by feel if rads still have cold spots. If you’re able to get hands on a thermal camera all the easier. If you’ve got a Magnaclean, check it to see if it’s clear. If rads are spotty or system isn’t clean then job wasn’t done properly.

You’re left with checking if the job was done properly and being able to evidence it. Here’s a few suggestions. Check by feel if rads still have cold spots. If you’re able to get hands on a thermal camera all the easier. If you’ve got a Magnaclean, check it to see if it’s clear. If rads are spotty or system isn’t clean then job wasn’t done properly.

Thanks, I don't think the radiators have any cold spots, and they didn't before either as the heating was working OK - I only had the boiler replaced as the hot water wasn't working. A Worcester Bosch version of the MagnaClean was fitted, I'll have a look at some youtube videos to see how to check the filter.

https://www.plumit.co.uk/product/adey-magnaclean-water-test-kit-5269

Check the colour of the system water, run some out of the rads into a glass and see how clear it is. As mentioned, your system may have been in good condition to start with.

Thanks, stupid Q but can I get the water out of the bleed hole? The radiators do have a drain cock but it's not connected to the valve but on a separate piece of pipe. I did google but could only see examples of using the drain cock when it was built in to the valve.

I'd be suprised if the system water was in good condition before the nw boiler was fitted, the boiler looked to be 20 years old and to my knowledge it's never had a flush.

I'd be suprised if the system water was in good condition before the nw boiler was fitted, the boiler looked to be 20 years old and to my knowledge it's never had a flush

Doesn't mean it wasn't in good condition, some of the older gravity systems I support are the cleanest systems I work on.
Yes, you can use the bleed screw on the rads to sample the water from the rads and use the drain to drain some water from the system itself too, do both, just go carefully using the drain valve as it is under pressure if you system is sealed, you don't need much. Check/top up the boiler pressure when done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back