qualifications Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i am due to come out of the army soon and i would like to become an electrician. i am a mechanic at the mo so have a good understanding of electrics. what quals do i require to become qualified. i am currently looking at part p and 16th edition, could someone advise me on what courses i need and where i could find them, thanks

Sponsored Links
The main course is the city and guilds 2330, it takes a while to complete (average 2 years... doing 16 hours a week)

Think you can just about do the NVQ in electrical work off the same course as long as you have got someway to get varied on site experience (without the onsite experience the 2330 won't be that useful anyway- though I do know of people who have been sucessful without onsite experience, but I dont think it everyone would manage it)

Then it'd be a very good idea to suppliment that with the 2391 testing course, think thats about 12 weeks at one evening a week

You could add cg2391-part 2 (design) [used to be called 2400] as well, but this is very much seen as an optional qual.

Adam, have you completed the 2391 part 2?

RMS

...plus you will also need 2381 (16th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations) - I am currently doing that course at Lewisham College. 8 weeks of 3 hours a week, though you'll also need to buy a copy of the regs and the On-site Guide....(total cost me over £300, and that was discounted!).

If this helps, I got this info from someone high up in NICEIC (one of the bodies who can get you on a 'Self-Certification Scheme' - essential if you want to work for yourself):

To get started as a 'Domestic Installer', i.e. someone who works for themselves (say) and only does domestic work, you need:

1) To have City & Guilds 2330 Level 2 (which you can get in 1 year - cost me £900 at Lewisham College), or be otherwise able to prove your electrical conmpetence (not absolutely sure about this bit).
2) To have, or be enrolled on, the 2381 16th Edition course.
3) To have been self-employed for at least 6 monnths
4) To have 3rd party Public Liability insurance (up to £2M?).
5) To show the NICEIC two jobs that you have installed, inspected & tested yourself (you can arrange that with them).

You then pay them some dosh (£350 or so?) and you're up & running as a 'one-man band'.

Once you have your 2330 Level 3 (another 1 day a week for a year and £500) and you can show them six jobs, you can then apply for full membership, with various benefits (I guess you can do commercial/industrial work).

So there you have it: working sparky in 1 year and fully trained one in 2 years! You have to hasve had previous, though, which it sounds like you do, Crazyk. Hope this helps.

(The above info is correct as far as I know, and took a long time to track down, believe me).

Sponsored Links
RMS said:

RMS

No, I haven't completed any courses yet... due to start my 2330 in sept, but I'll be looking to do 2391 part 2 eventually I think.

(any nonsense I come out with atm isn't the fault of any course :LOL: ;) )

Thanks Guys

iam starting a course in sept 2330 , i will have finished 16edition, where does part p come into effect then or do i just need that if i am doing odds and sods like kitchen fitting etc, which i do at weekends.
thanks
ian

crazyk69 said:
...where does part p come into effect then...

Since Jan 1st 2005.

Part P governs ALL electrical work in dwellings, although certain minor works do not need to be notified. You can download and read the approved document here.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1164183

Part P is not a qualification, a course, a form of certification, an organisation, a title, or any of a dozen more things some seem to think it is. It is a section of the building regulations, that's all.

crazyk69 said:
iam starting a course in sept 2330 , i will have finished 16edition

Sorry, but why? If you complete the 2330 you will not need the 2381. Doing it first is just pointless.

Adam_151 said:
RMS said:

RMS

No, I haven't completed any courses yet... due to start my 2330 in sept, but I'll be looking to do 2391 part 2 eventually I think.

(any nonsense I come out with atm isn't the fault of any course :LOL: ;) )

Adam, for someone who has not even started officially training yet you seem to very knowledgable of the regs.

RMS

My understanding is that 2330 (level 2 in 1 year, level 3 in 2 years) is required (unless perhaps you have a lot of previous industry experience), but it doesn't include 2381 (16th edition), which is a short course just covering the Regs (8-10 weeks, 1 evening a week). You need 2330 (level 2) AND 2381 to get onto the NICEIC domestic installer scheme, for instance.

2391 is Testing & Inspection and is, I believe, another short course which would be a good thing to do while doing 2330 level 3 in the second year. Having all that under your belt in 2 years, plus evidence of work you've done, etc will set you up nicely, particularly if you fancy getting into the potentially lucrative T&I side of things.

The Jeep said:
My understanding is that 2330 (level 2 in 1 year, level 3 in 2 years) is required (unless perhaps you have a lot of previous industry experience), but it doesn't include 2381 (16th edition), which is a short course just covering the Regs (8-10 weeks, 1 evening a week). You need 2330 (level 2) AND 2381 to get onto the NICEIC domestic installer scheme, for instance.

2381 is a 16th Edition short course designed primarily for electricians who qualified prior to the introduction of the sixteenth (originally issued in 1991). If you like, it's a top-up course, designed to update you on current regs. If you qualify now, your course (2360 or 2330) will have been conducted under the sixteenth edition, so you are deemed up to date.

NICEIC only require 2381 if your original trade course was completed some years ago.

listen fellas,
were do you lot get the idea from that you need 2330 or 2360 to join niceic from?
all you need is 2381

Not on that page, but the requirements for QS do specify qualifications.

Yes you can be a NIC DI with just the 2381, provided you pass the assessment. My point was that if you have a 'current' trade qualification (2360/2330) you don't need to have 2381 as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back