Query about plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope this is the appropriate forum for my question.
A few weeks ago several things started happening in the house which perhaps are linked to each other:

– The washing machine isn't draining the water properly, I have to open the front drain screw manually after each wash where about 2 pints of water spill out

– The water in the shower changes temperature from time to time and sometimes even goes completely cold until I switch it off completely and then turn the tap back on

– If someone is using the shower downstairs then later, when I switch the tap on upstairs it makes a loud noise as if there was no water running for a while

– The water pressure seem to be low, when I look at the boiler gauge the indicator is less than half way on the scale

Any ideas what is happening? There might not be a connection between all these problems but they seem to have started around the same time.

Many thanks

Tal

:) :eek: :eek: :(

Sponsored Links
No.1 Outlet pipe kinked or waste blocked (maybe soap powder).
No 2 & 3 I do not think are related to No 1

– The water in the shower changes temperature from time to time and sometimes even goes completely cold until I switch it off completely and then turn the tap back on...

If it is an instant shower (i.e. heats water up as you use it), it could the the thermostat switch. These mechanical switches rust up due to moisture and then do not regulate the water temp properly.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for everyone's replies. I would like to check the waste pipe as suggested by Diyisfun, can anyone advise how to do that?

I opened it and looks ok (a little bit of brown scum around the edges) but don't I need to have water flowing to be able to see the blockage? how would I do that?

Many thanks for your help so far.

T

Does the washing machine waste hose connect to the trap under the sink? Might be worth checking that the trap is not blocked.

If it is not blocked try directing the waste hose into a large bucket and then pumping out the washing machine. If still no water then either a kinked hose (as suggested) or blockage/fault within the machine - might be worth posting on the appliance forum.

Do you have a combi boiler or do you have a water tank in the loft and a copper cylinder?

Thanks so much for your replies.

My partner and I tried checking the waste pipe for blockage with not much success as it was very difficult to access the point where the pipe
connects to the pump.. I think we will need to get a plumber in. Will keep you posted here.

It is a combi boiler and it is installed on the ground floor of the house.

Washing Machine: Drain hose will need to rise above point of discharge into waste, before dropping back down to the point of discharge, otherwise water can be siphoned back into the machine after it has emptied.

Shower: Make/Model would help us advise further.

Boiler: Again, make/model would help, but pressure gauge on the boiler indicates pressure within the boiler/heating system. (Should be between 1-1.5 bar when boiler is cold, will rise when in operation.) This has zero effect on water pressure at the shower or taps within the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back