Query on replacing a light switch please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have redecorated and am trying to replace an old Light switch.
It is older Blk and red wiring.

This is the way it works.

At the bottom of the stairs i have a double 2 way switch which operates both upstairs and down.
At the top i have a Single switch which only operates the upstairs light.
I have replaced the double switch downstairs, no problem.
But when i took off the old switch upstairs, i noted the way the wiring was and tried to fit a new switch.
The old permutation from the old switch didn't seem to make the new switch work so i tried switching around until i got the light working fine.
The only trouble i have is when the downstairs lightswitch turns on the upstairs light, the upstairs lightswitch won't turn it off.

I have one Red and Two Blacks wires in the upstairs switch and i have both a single 1 way and a single 2way switch i can use.

Which should i use and can you please tell me the way round the wiring should go.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
More questions - sorry!

Have a look here for more info.

Have you definately connected the wires the same as they were at the downstairs lightswitch?

What colour core do you have at C/L1/L2 on the downstairs switch? This will often be the same at the upstairs one but will depend how the lighting has been wired...

And you'll need a two way switch, not one way. ;)

on the downstairs switch i have:
Red wires to the Commons and Blacks to the L1's.
There is also a wire crossing from one common to the other (forming a bridge if you like).
This is how the old one was wired, al least i think it was :oops:

maybe this switch is the trouble ?

Thanks

You need a wire in all 3 terminals for 2 way switching to work.

Probably one of the reds went to COM on both switches (via the link) and the other red wire was in L2.

Sponsored Links
Really silly question now.
Is this how i should wire both switches:

2Way - Blks to L1
one red to L2
one red to common the link to other common

1Way upstairs - red to common and Blks to L1 & L2

i think i'm confusing myself by swopping so much.
i've wired up 1 and 2 way switches already in the house but this is getting to me lol

Cheers

This is how the old one was wired, al least i think it was :oops:
Ahhh... ;)

maybe this switch is the trouble ?
Quite possibly.

There would be no point in having a conductor to each COM and having link between them.

I suspect you may have had this downstairs:

Switch cable for downstairs light to one side, Live in COM and return in L1.

Link to COM on the other side with the other cable to L1 & L2.

Upstairs:

Cable from downstairs switch to L1 & L2

Switched live for landing light from COM.

So the 2-way side looks like the top left part of the first diagram here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting

I would try that yes. Obviously you don't know which red is which now so you might have to try twice.

By the way, the switches are 1 gang and 2 gang, not 1 way/2 way (they are both 2 way)

The very first picture in the wiki (click here) is how I think it sounds like it is wired.

Thanks BAN-ALL-SHEDS.

It certainly was the downstairs switch. Got the strappers wrong.

Top Man :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back