Query with alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My burglar alarm has decided to go off sporadically for a few seconds at a time it can be during the night or at various times during the day , there are no alarm indications on the panel and nothing seems to indicate why .
I would appreciate any input regarding this , secondly is there anyway i can temporarily shut the system down completely .
All advice welcome .

Sponsored Links
If it is just sounding outside , then the bell could be loosing its hold-off voltage , this could be caused by a failing backup battery in the panel dragging the supply voltage down.
It won't get better on its own. :)

You could remove the battery and see if this helps (although your alarm will then trigger if there is a power cut)

Thanks for replying , so i could remove backup battery or i suppose get a new one , while we are on the subject is there a battery in the bell box normally ?

If it is just sounding outside , then the bell could be loosing its hold-off voltage , this could be caused by a failing backup battery in the panel dragging the supply voltage down.
It won't get better on its own. :)

You could remove the battery and see if this helps (although your alarm will then trigger if there is a power cut)

no - a dropped 0V would trigger the panel (im assuming its connected right in the first place) more likely is damp and or coroasion within the bellbox, closely followed by cable damage

Sponsored Links
So is my only course of action to get someone in or do you think there is anything i could do ? many thanks

Breezer should i replace main panel battery first because reading up on this forum highlighted the fact that when my mains fail the alarm sounds which seems symptomatic of battery failure also would it be relevant that my alarm bell is protected by a large sofit or would damp just ingress .
Thanks for all replys .

depends how old the battery is, if its 5 or more yes change iot. but TBH if its just the external sounder going off and nothing else, and no indication on the panel my money would be on the sondr is brakinng down.

never know it may be a bad connection, then again it may be corroded badly

Thanks for that , just one last thing if i take the sounder cover off will it set off the alarm cheers

Howy1,

I had bother with my system going of sporadically, going off at all sorts of times and particulary when the front door bell button was depressed!

It proved to be a faulty micro swith inside the bell box, used as a tamper to prevent cover being removed.

Sounds like another obstacle to get over on the road to repair , maybe with a bit of luck my is not a tamper proof box but just in case i will put on my ear defenders and upset the neighbours :LOL: cheers

all external alarm external sounders are tamperproof, pointless if they are not.

yes they do use microswitches, but most modern sounders have them soldered onto the board to keep costs down, so its easier to change the whole box

Thanks breezer , yes it was a bit daft to even think it was not tamper proof , so stateing the obvious when i isolate to check and possibly change the external box i will have a period with the alarm sounding via the battery till i get it down and muffel it so to speak .

yes, but nothing a pair of side cutters cant fix in seconds.

since its runining on the battery you cut the battery wire or sounder wire (since you dont want it anymore.)

some have a jumper to remove

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back