Question about a wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1920's semi and noticed a small crack in an upstairs wall. The wall measures about 4" wide including plaster. I tried to lift a floorboard to see if I could determine what it was made of (was bored) and discovered that it was built directly on top of the floorboards. I managed to pull one up that didn't go through the wall and could see that it was built not only directly on top of the floorboard, but also in between the joists. It seems to be some sort of breeze block.

There are no major structural issues (aside from the small crack) but am concerned that it's a reasonably solid wall and is sitting between the joists.

Is this a normal building practice? Anyone know what these blocks could be and what they weigh?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It was normal up untill probably the early 70's

And 1000's of walls around the country are still standing up - but building control will not let you do this today, in case they suddenly start falling down!

Breeze walls are about 3.5kN per m2 (35Kg)

Cracking is normal too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back