Question about outdoor tap height and pipe run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really want to put an outdoor hose union bib tap on the wall outside the kitchen and wish I'd done it when I renovated. There is an existing hole through the wall from an old drain that I cut off at both ends and filled with expanding foam. This seems like an easy place to pass a 15mm copper pipe through, but it is only 25mm off the ground and is about a foot to the right of a drain that would be perfect to put the tap over.

I have two questions:
  1. What is the ideal height for an outdoor tap? I want it above the drain and to be able to accommodate a bucket underneath.
  2. What is the best way to run the copper pipe? most installations I've seen have the copper exiting the wall and going straight up or straight down to the elbow/tap. In my case I want to go over to the left and up for the ideal tap location. Is there a better way to run the pipe? Can it be run diagonally? This seems like the easiest options but I know you're not supposed to run cabling diagonally so maybe it's similar with copper pipe?
Any advice would be gratefully received. I have posted a diagram to show what I mean:

Outdoor Tap Diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nope, pipe is rarely run diagonally. No ideal height for a outside tap really, as high as is needed given individual requirements, 750mm is a good starting point.

The more external pipework there is, the higher risk from freezing. Drain valve would also need to be fitted to avoid freezing in winter or pipe is run internally.

There's a drain valve on the inside that's a 1-2 cm lower than everything else so should be fine to keep it from freezing. Thanks!

just run pipe horizontal then vertical at usable height ( within reason) with insulation ( external ) then crack on , the pipe police won't come round and give you a ticket :LOL:

Sponsored Links
LOL you never know I've gotten tickets for less offensive things here in kingston!

Best off having the drain off outside, below the tap that way you can just open it to the drain with no need to worry about getting anything wet inside or having to run a hose.

Come out of the wall to the right, equal tee with drain off to the bottom and then up to the tap. Jobs a good un.

Other than that all else looks good.

Jon

In many ways its better to have the tap at the lowest point in the pipework so it can all be drained through the tap itself.

Even if it means taking the pipe up higher inside.

Tony

Good thinking, i got a full bore one with a plastic knob because I live in London in a converted house, gotta keep it turned off most of the time so the neighbours or some student doesn't use it when I'm out!

You need the plastic knob so that anyone can turn it off without needing to find a tool if its likely to be freezing.

Otherwise it never gets turned off and so the tap freezes!

Tony

For isolation you are best of using a full bore lever ball valve. You won't reduce flow rate by having a small orifice to pass through and it's easily isolated without tools and no chance of a plastic lever snapping or wearing.

You seem to have done everything to the best practice so far so don't skimp on this for the sake of a couple of quid. You will appreciate it in the long run.

Do it properly and you only do it once.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back