Question about shower lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry, I know nothing about electrics or any terminology, so please be gentle.

Okay, so my girlfriend's dad had to recently re-wire out shower as we had a loose connection. He replaced the entire faceplate (where power is turned on to the shower) and also extended the wiring because there wasn't a lot of give from the shower.

Shower is working fine now (though I'm sure the flow of water from the shower isn't a strong as it was previously before the repair, but probably my imagination), but...

The power light on the faceplate (which is switched on) is flickering. It definitely didn't do this even after the repair. Only thing I have done differently is have a (much longer) shower.

Any ideas? Is this normal?

Thanks,
Thommo

dscf2558s.jpg

Sponsored Links
Neons can flicker as they get old, but you say this new face plate is new? Am I right in thinking the shower unit is the same one and has not been replaced?

Was the same thickness cable used when the switch was replaced?

What makes your gfs dad qualified to do this work? E.g what am getting at, does he even know more than you?

Nothing wrong at all about a lack of knowledge, it is those which lack knowledge they think they have which are dangerous. I am not saying this is the case with your GFs dad btw.

Thanks for the reply. My girlfriend's dad is certainly not qualified in this particular field, but he has a long history of repairs regarding electrical equipment.

Yes, the faceplate is new, but the shower is the one we had previous to the repair. Not sure about wires, I'm afraid.

I mean, the shower appears to be working fine, but the faceplate light definitely did not flicker when he first installed it. Just wondering if it's something to worry about.

Regards,
Thommo

It might be worth asking whether it flickers only when the shower is in operation, or even when it isn't.

And whether the face plate feels warm after the shower has been run? (Don't try this if you were actually in the shower!)

Sponsored Links
Yeah, the lights flicker when the shower is switched off (but the faceplate switch is on). Will try the heat test, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back