Question on ventilation of timber and masonry walls....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I'm at present drawing up my replacement garage and I'm trying to decide the best way to build it.

I want it to be a 'comfortable' workshop for when I'm working on my car etc hence the insulation etc.

Originally I was going for a cavity doubled skinned block wall as shown in my picture here, (although the outside needs beefed up to 215 block) it was for aesthetics really as it would hide the DPM/DPC due to the slab FFL being below the adjacent ground level.

ED163259-7059-4D35-88A9-F212BF376F73-511-000001357B1AC55E_zps060f485b.jpg

My question is would the wall require weep holes and ventilation? If so where can I find any guidance on spacing and what is required where?

My second question is.....

EC09A473-FF5B-4E02-BEDB-0B684EFB1861-248-0000011FFE735AFE_zpscebc05bc.jpg

When I was showing my plans to building control they offered up a suggestion of building it from 215mm blockwork and doing away with the internal blockwork leaf/cavity. They said a timber frame could be built with a 25mm gap or so off the blockwork and this could then be insulated etc. If I went with this option would it need to be ventilated like a timber kit? with the levels I'm working with I'm not sure how effective a cavity tray/drains would be? I can't really find any concrete information on what is required.

Would be really grateful of any guidance!

Sponsored Links
Also forgot to mention, the outside of the garage will be fully rendered from 2 brickwork courses upwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back