Question regarding wiring two slaves to a master tel socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, recently i had Virgin install broadband and telephone at my premises and they supplied a ribbish small telephone socket to start with and secondly i have to wire in my slave socket and also a telelphone wire for my alarm system.

Now I was under the impression that one side of the socket inside is for the master and the other is for slave which is what ive been looking at on google or is this wrong.

The way the install guys from virgin installed the master is by croning the solid blue to number 2 and stripe blue to 5. Likewise would both my telephone slave wire and alarm wires crone into the same slot and if so which numbers should i crone to. Also should i leave the orange wires alone.

Finally for the slave telephone wire i am using cat5e, this should work shouldnt it?

thanks

Sponsored Links
What socket have they fitted? Can you post a pic? For slave sockets you shoud also wire pin 3, is this an ADSL install? CAT5 will work fine but offers no advantage over CW1308.

Hi DRGL, as always very helpful.

Ill post a piccy later on tonight.

In the meantime regarding the cat5e, i know there wouldnt be any advantage, it was only that I had a nice long length free and couldnt be bothered buying a whole role of telelphone wire just for a a single 8 meter run.

Sponsored Links
Virgin wiring is slightly different to BT but you just need connections 2 and 5 from master to the slaves. Cat5 is fine and if you use the blue & Blue/w pair it will keep things simple and still allow you to run ethernet on the cable if needed. you may struggle to fit 3 cables onto a punch down ternimal. You can always use a small Krone strip or patch panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back