Questions after my first attempt at plasterboarding...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After 4 hours I've got three sections of board up, totalling just over 2m in length. Actually I put another piece up but promptly ripped it down again.

1) There is adhesive everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Do I need to wash it off floorboards urgently now or can it be scraped off when dry?

2) If I want to remove boards do I need to do it right now before it sets - am I in for a real job if I want to remove some adhered boards tomorrow?

3) I tried my best to get big, even, well-spaced dabs of adhesive but the majority of each board sounds awful and hollow, with just the odd patch returning a solid sound. Also, a lot of the edges of the boards are not properly attached and flex when pushed. Is this completely unacceptable?

I have a very bad feeling about the work done so far and am not pleased with it at all - I just feel annoyed for messing up my nice, clean, PVA'ed bricks.[/i]

Sponsored Links
there is no need to pva the bricks, now you have a solid backwall that wont breath wrong thing to do if you ask me

there is no need to pva the bricks, now you have a solid backwall that wont breath wrong thing to do if you ask me

Well, too late now :/
The bricks were scrubbed us as best I could but plenty of the previous lime (?) plaster remained on them in dusty patched, so I washed it all with a 1:5 PVA solution which held it all together nicely.

Sponsored Links
well if its watered down to 5-1 it wont be that bad show us some pics of what uve done

The room is under quarantine. If I take my camera through the door it, and I, will instantly become covered in grey slop.

lol ok if your boards are moving its best to take them down , have a look on youtube for some vids on how to dot and dab im not sure how you managed to get addy all over the room

lol ok if your boards are moving its best to take them down , have a look on youtube for some vids on how to dot and dab im not sure how you managed to get addy all over the room

I'll check them in the morning and see how much movement there is. If it's not too bad I'll just cut some small sections out and pop a new bit of board in the gap. It's going to be skimmed anyway.

The adhesive just falls all over the place, clearly I have no idea how to handle the tools.

You're making the mix too wet.

If there are any loose sections, there are potential solutions such as cutting out 6" panels with a knife and shoving more addy down there. Another solution is to drill a few inch or so holes and squirt foam adhesive back there.

Not ideal, but less hassle (and cheaper) than taking all the boards off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back