Questions on new windows

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of having the outside of my house completely redone (repainting all of the woodwork and having it re-rendered). Before I have the rendering done I need to replace two windows, one on the first floor and one on the ground floor.

The existing windows are both old aluminium double glazed units and have been fitted inside the existing wooden frames. I want these replaced with UPVC units but because the UPVC frames are thicker I need to take the wooden frames out to maintain the same size glass. Are there any issues with removing the old wooden frames?

My brother in law is a carpenter (mainly working on commercial builds) and has offered to source and fit the windows and the price is a couple of hundred cheaper than the best local quote. He has asked a few questions - the first is what the measurements are. I have measured brick to brick around the window openings and allowed 10mm on each measurement for fitting. Do I need to take the depth of the sill off the height measurement to give the final frame size?

He also asked if I know what side the glass comes out, is there any way to work this out?

Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
Regarding the sill - the way it works is you give your brickwork sizes minus the 10mm to the manufacturer, this size should always always always include the sill, these are normally 30mm thick so the manufacturer will make the allowance and make the frame itself 30mm short in height so with the sill screwed to it brings it back to the correct height, hope that makes sense?

Which side the glass comes out? Do you mean your old windows? Pictures needed really but generally with ali you have a wedge gasket inside which pushes the glass outwards which in turn locks the glazing beads into position, pry out the internal gasket go out and press the glass inwards, you should now of loosened the beads enough to remove, there are other systems like Everest where each glass unit is set into a cassette which itself is set into the main frame, this has no beads but instead the frame is pushed/hammered onto to glass unit over a C shaped gasket called wrap around

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t
Sponsored Links
That's it, flat scraper or putty knife inside to remove the gasket, if the gasket is in 4 separate bits then start in the corners, if it looks like 1 piece but folded at 90° then start in the middle other than that then as above

• Thanks
Reactions: m0t

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back