Quick drying gloss for exterior doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals

Anyone got any top tips for painting external doors at this time of year ? I don't think regular gloss will dry quickly enough ( I need to shut the doors at night)

Is Dulux quick drying gloss OK ? States a 6 hour drying time ?

Or will a couple of undercoats keep them OK for the winter ?

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Once the door is prepped, the gloss can be thinned a little and if done in the moring should be dry enough by the time you want to close it. You can run alittle washing up liquid up the edges to help stop them sticking. Quick drying gloss will probbaly be water based and i personally wouldnt use it a front door exposed to the elements. The sun does the most damage, expanding and contracting the wood more than the paint can cope with. You can buy " driers" that you put into the paint to speed up the drying time, usually about a tea spoon to a litre.

thanks robbie - prob a silly question but do i just thing the loss with white spirits ? thanks for the tips !

Sponsored Links
Yes, white spirits. not too much but just enough to make it easier to put on the door and flow it round. if the paint is too thick it will be harder to flow out on the door and will take longer to dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back