quick question about safe zones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To save my electrician time (and me money) I'm trying to get all the cable routes prepared for my kitchen rewire. Unfortunately I can't get in touch with my electrician until next week and I'd like to get on with the job.

I've got a wall where there will be two double sockets and two 20A DP switches all in horizontal alignment. The 20A DP switches will be connected to single unswitched sockets under the work surface.

Is it acceptable to route the cable down the wall to the first accessory, then horizontally via the remaining accessories, and finally back up the wall from the final accessory (with additional vertical routes from the DP switches down to the unswitched sockets)?

I'm asking the question because when people refer to safe zones for cables they always seem to state that you can route cables horizontally OR vertically from an accessory. Is it acceptable to route cables both horizontally AND vertically from a single accessory?

Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
bremen1874 said:
Is it acceptable to route cables both horizontally AND vertically from a single accessory?

Yes, there's no problem running cable both horizontally and vertically so long as they are within the safe zones.

Remember that when the chases are filled in you won't know where the cables are, well you might since you installed them :LOL: but other people won't, hence the reason for numerous safe zones and why you assume that there are cables running through all of them, and then drill somewhere else.

Thanks for the reply.

Is it then permissible to route a cable in a 'L' shape?

I was thinking about the cable between the CCU and the cooker outlet, where the cooker outlet will be below and to the right of the CCU. If the cable falls within the safe zones formed by the two accessories would it be okay?

I'm actually planning on routing all the cooker cables vertically within oval conduit and having the horizontal section within the ceiling void; but I'd be interested in knowing the answer.

No problems - the safe zones extend vertiically and horizontally from any accessory so your cable can be in an L shape so long as the bend in the L is in the right place at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical paths between the CCU & CO

Sponsored Links
Cremeegg said:
No problems - the safe zones extend vertiically and horizontally from any accessory so your cable can be in an L shape so long as the bend in the L is in the right place at the intersection of the horizontal and vertical paths between the CCU & CO

And also that to get the bend within the safe zone you don't exceed the minimum bend radius for the cable you are using.

True - but shouldn't be a problem as the accessory box size is likely to give you a radius of 75mm plus

safezones.jpg

My idiots guide to safe zones. Cables can run in any of the coloured areas. That makes my eyes go funny, I'll use different colours next time :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back