Safe cabling zones....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day to all.
Just a quick query guys.... i've had a good butchers around a few forums and a few textbooks to no avail so here goes.
I was wondering the exact requirements for routing a cable safely on a while. I know you can route a cable 150mm from a corner of a wall vertically and 150mm from the top of a ceiling providing it is buried at a greater depth than 50mm. I would like to know if cabling horizontally or vertically from an accessory that the depth would still have to be greater than 50mm??
I understand this requirement will be in force when the 17th edition kicks in this year.
Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
An unprotected twin and earth installed less than 50mm from any surface needs to be in a safe zone.
As the 17th edition kicks in, cables concealled less than 50mm need to be:
  • routed in the safe zones and RCD protected, or
  • in an earthed metallic conduit, trunking or have an earthed sheath suitable for use as a protective condutor, or
  • have additional mechanical protection to prevent the penetration of screws/nails etc

this raises a question re: 1mm stainless steel as a 'suitable' protective conductor...

i ask this cos to change the height of a cable run of the horizontal ring in the kitchen (making a step up - 3 bricks height) i intend to run it out of safe zone behind the steel - o.k. assuming I earthed it?

there would be clear safe zones either side of the splashback.

thanks for any feedback on this

b/

Sponsored Links
there would be clear safe zones either side of the splashback.

You're not putting a socket above the hob are you? Or is it an isolator for the extractor?
Answer to the question you have asked is in Spark123s post anyway....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back