Quick question - steel lintel above doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have knocked down a dividing wall in my bathroom so left with two door ways.

I have started to remove one ready to be studded up.

The doorways had a steel lintel above the pair of them, which had about 1/2" skim of cement below it before the headpiece of the door frame.

I guess that this was just for packing/levelling to allow the headpiece/door frame to sit correct, but as I am studding it up, should I still have a skim of cement between lintel and headpiece, or should I wedge the headpiece up against the lintel with nothing between them?

Sponsored Links
There's no need for anything between them.

Ah, OK thanks.

I ended up cementing it up anyway, as most of what was there was left so I patched up the odd bit that had broken.

Is it a case of it doesn't really matter either way, or should I chip it all off?

Won't take 5 mins to do.

Hallsy said:
Ah, OK thanks.

I ended up cementing it up anyway, as most of what was there was left so I patched up the odd bit that had broken.
Blimey - you must have been champing at the bit if you coulndn't wait 53 minutes for a reply. :D

Is it a case of it doesn't really matter either way, or should I chip it all off?

Won't take 5 mins to do.
I would leave it - if it plays no structural or cosmetic role then it really doesn't matter.

Sponsored Links
Well, I had to wait for DIY place to open to get a new wrecking bar, so thought I may as well patch it up while I wait, then at worse I'd just have to pull it down again!!

It's all good!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back