Quick Switch Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to double check, I am replacing a 2 way switch and the old switch has com L1 and L2 where as the new switch has L1 L2 L3, am I ok to use L1 as the com L2 as L1 and L3 as L2?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
As Owain says, "usually" - but there are all sorts of variants of how they label the terminals of these switches. However, you will do no harm if it's wrong - the switch simply wouldn't work (at all, or 'as expected').

If you had a multimeter, you could find out for sure which terminal was which.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you had a multimeter, you could find out for sure which terminal was which.
blank65x10t.gif
whssign.gif

And if you haven't, then get one. IF you want to work on your electrics then it's an essential tool, and you should have one in the same way that you should have the right screwdrivers, that you should have wire cutters and strippers rather than use scissors and teeth, and so on.

Yes, though can't remember them all now.

One make of 2 gang switch used markings like A1, A2 etc; the other gang being B1, B2 etc.

Another make of switch insisted on putting the common and L1 (or whatever it was) next to each other, with the remaining L2 (or whatever it was) at the other end of the switch on it's own.

Yes, though can't remember them all now.
Same here!
One make of 2 gang switch used markings like A1, A2 etc; the other gang being B1, B2 etc.
Yes, I've seen them. I've also seen just 1, 2 and 3. ... but the others escape my memory. However, of what I'm sure is that I have come across ones which caused me to get my multimeter out!

Kind Regards, John

Not that long ago I had one with ( if memory serves me right )

C1 NO

C2 NC

In one position C1 connected to NO and in the other position C2 connected to NC

but everything in that house was weird.

Not that long ago I had one with ( if memory serves me right )
C1 NO
C2 NC
In one position C1 connected to NO and in the other position C2 connected to NC
I've certainly seen that sort of arrangement (variously labelled!) with toggle switches (where it increases versatility), but don't recall having seen it in an 'electrical accessory'. It's really a variant of the 'not uncommon' arrangement of switches (including some 'electrical switchgear'), and some relays/contactors, where there are two terminals at one end (say A1 & A2) and two at the other end (say B1 & B2), and operating the switch moves some sort of 'bar' which joins either A1 & A2 or B1 & B2.

Kind Regards, John

However, of what I'm sure is that I have come across ones which caused me to get my multimeter out!
And there we have it.

Anybody who does not have a multimeter, and the knowledge to use it, and the understanding of what a switch does, and therefore the ability to successfully identify the terminals even if they are completely unmarked should not consider themselves competent to replace a switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back