Quinetic (or similar) interference.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was out visiting earlier, talking to a fellow radio amateur, on the way he was giving me directions to my final destination and stopping outside my destination I could see lights going on and off each time I started transmitting.
There was no issue for the 10 minutes I was inside but kerchunking the radio as I left confirmed the problem.
Additionally the lights could not be switched while transmitting. Not really a surprise as transmitting on 433.775MHz

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Reason I ask is I'm planning to employ some Quinetics for some temporary (Christmas) lights.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not really a surprise as transmitting on 433.775MHz
Sorry that may have been part of my edit.
And yes I realise I was within 500KHz of the low power license exempt band.

Sorry that may have been part of my edit.
And yes I realise I was within 500KHz of the low power license exempt band.

I would expect them to ignore the legitimate signals - wiped out by your transmissions, but I'm surprised they reacted to yours because they would/should have lacked the codes to trigger them. Most 433 stuff I've come across, has been well protected by needing the correct code to be received, before they respond.

Sponsored Links
I would expect them to ignore the legitimate signals - wiped out by your transmissions, but I'm surprised they reacted to yours because they would/should have lacked the codes to trigger them. Most 433 stuff I've come across, has been well protected by needing the correct code to be received, before they respond.
I agree. My experience is that strong 70cm signals can certainly 'block' these things, but it's hard to see how they can actually 'activate' them. If they didn't have enough 'code protection' to prevent that, they would probably be 'responding' to the neighbours' devices :)

Kind Regards, John

I agree. My experience is that strong 70cm signals can certainly 'block' these things, but it's hard to see how they can actually 'activate' them. If they didn't have enough 'code protection' to prevent that, they would probably be 'responding' to the neighbours' devices :)

Kind Regards, John

I fully expect 70cm transmissions to swamp the LPD crap frontends but I didn't expect to be triggering the devices. It was almost foolproof each time I kerchunked something switched.

A brand new housing in this area was equipped exclusively with kinetic devices, as soon as the estate got anywhere near sold the electricians were back rewiring due to false triggering.

Last edited:
I fully expect 70cm transmissions to swamp the LPD crap frontends but I didn't expect to be triggering the devices.
As I said, I felt exactly the same. Indeed, I would expect a nearby 70cm transmitter to swamp one of these (very low power) devices even if its front-end wasn't 'crap' - unless it was so 'sophisticated as to probably be prohibitively expensive. After all, as you observed, the frequencies are very close.
A brand new housing in this area was equipped exclusively with kinetic devices, as soon as the estate got anywhere near sold the electricians were back rewiring due to false triggering.
I'm inclined to agree. These things (which are pretty 'amazing' when they work properly) have their place (in terms of 'convenience') in relation to additions/alterations to existing installations, but to use them routinely (as in new builds or total 're-wires') seems to me to be a bit foolish.

Kind Regards, John

I'm inclined to agree. These things (which are pretty 'amazing' when they work properly) have their place (in terms of 'convenience') in relation to additions/alterations to existing installations, but to use them routinely (as in new builds or total 're-wires') seems to me to be a bit foolish.

I agree - I, like many others, have enough trouble with Smart Plugs simply loosing their access to wifi. Great when they work, but not reliable enough for anything essential, without regular checking that they are responding. The more of them you have, the higher the likelihood of one or more dropping off the wifi, unnoticed.

and the most stupid arrangement today?

Someone mounted a kinetic switch in the downstairs toilet door frame such that it is pressed 'on' when the door is open and therefore turns the light on and next time turns it off...

When I opened the door to go in, the light went off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back