quote for floor polishing, is it too much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a quote to polish our hardwood floor in one room which is just over 10 square metres. The quote was almost £700, that included one coat of primer and 2 coats of lacquer.

I've seen the guys work and it's good, but **** me on the price? That's about £70 a square meter. He also would not include de-squeaking the floor prior to polishing, which I offered to do myself.

It would cost me about £400 to lay a new engineered floor on top including the trim and underlay and new threshold. In fact I checked the price of a bottom of the range solid floor and it came out between £400-600.

Alternatively, hire a floor sander and do the job myself for the price of the tool hire, primer and lacquer, but of course I won't achieve a professional finish....

Sponsored Links
You've shown yourself to quite handy Hawkeye, so don't underestimate the finish you can achieve if you do it yourself; it'll just take you a little longer.

I will need to check my measurements but I paid £1100 to have my through lounge and hall done, parquet sanded, three coats . Obviously a lot more than 10 sq M

He had all the kit and there was minimal dust. Any diy creates massive dust. His extract system was the size of a fridge

Sponsored Links
I did my hall a few years previously and it was miserable, I was snotting out brown gunk for a week and fishing crap out of my ears for longer. The whole house was dusty. It took me two weekends and the whole hall/living /dining rooms took the expert 2 days of sanding and 1/2 a day of lacquer

But yes, my mate did his whole house, v early Victorian with a basic ex rental sander

You definitely need to seal the doors to the house thoroughly, even if that means climbing in and out of the window.

It’s a trade off between money and your time/effort. If you’re handy and research how to do it, I bet you could do it yourself with hire of equipment and materials for not far off £100.

I did mine with a sander and hard wax oil. Sure was a bloody mess and and hard work, but the results were very pleasing.

Go for it then spend your cash on something else and a slap up meal to celebrate!

seems about right for London. Here in Oxford my mate would do a 3x4 living room for around the £550 mark

It’s a trade off between money and your time/effort. If you’re handy and research how to do it, I bet you could do it yourself with hire of equipment and materials for not far off £100.

I would say closer to twice that a decent finish is around £40 for the primer and £80 for the finish.
I recently did a living room and dining room (about 25sqm) for about £250 myself, but the DIY method is definitely quite dusty and remember you need to remove all that dust before finishing as well as keeping it out of you and the rest of the house. It is easy enough but not the most pleasant job.
Most of the pros now have proper dust extraction and it does make a massive difference[/QUOTE]

thats about right its 3 visits
1st sand and seal
2nd laq
3rd laq
what would you want paying

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back