Quote for new combi installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Suprima 100L which is about 6-7 years old and has just been declared I/D, the reason being that the joint on one of the feed pipes into the top of the boiler was weeping and has corroded the casing, leaving a hole. Unfortunately, even though I'm 6'2" tall I can't see that joint from the floor so it went completely unnoticed!

That was the first shock - discovered by a heating engineer who'd actually come round to investigate a lockout problem.

Second, and much bigger, shock was that the quote to replace the unit with a combi of equivalent power (10,000BTU) - a Baxi Solo 30 - was £1900 :cry:
I was bracing myself for up to £1500 but this really threw me.

I've looked the Baxi Solo 30 up on the web and the general price seems to be around £800 inc VAT. I know they may need some extras such as a flue extension or similar so say £900 for the hardware, all in.

So around £1000 to replace a boiler, excluding the cost of the boiler. Does that sound reasonable ? £1000 sounds like several days work to me but surely it doesn't take that long ?

So I have a few questions:
1. Is that £1900 quote reasonable ? (this is the Bucks area so nearly London prices)
2. Is the Baxi Solo 30 a decent unit - do others have better suggestions ?
3. Is there any way I can get a replacement casing for the boiler ? It's not available as a Potterton spare part but I was wondering if there was the equivalent of a breakers' yard for boilers where someone might have rescued the casing from a Suprima that had some other fatal problem!

Sadly I can't wait around for lots of quotes because we have no heating and the hot water is dependent on the immersion heater now. In a house with 4 females that won't go very far!

If others think this plumber's price is not unreasonable I'll probably go with it because I trust him. He's done other work for me before and not ripped me off.

Last question:
4. I'm going to try & claim this off my home insurance. Unlikely to work I know but the leak was in a place I couldn't possibly see. Has anyone else been successful in this kind of claim ?

Thanks for any info you can give. Feeling a bit shell-shocked by the quote still :confused:

Sponsored Links
If others think this plumber's price is not unreasonable I'll probably go with it because I trust him. He's done other work for me before and not ripped me off.

Well I hope he trusts you :evil: :evil:

sounds a lot to me. £1500 is nearer the mark i reckon. get some quotes.

So you have a Suprima 100 and want to replace it with a Solo 30. Do you know what these numbers mean?

You will not get a combi with power output of 10,000 BTUs.

Sponsored Links
So you have a Suprima 100 and want to replace it with a Solo 30. Do you know what these numbers mean?

Hi - I understand what a BTU is and I believe that in terms of boilers, the measurement is the number of BTUs the boiler is capable of producing per hour. I also know that my now defunct Suprima was rated at 98,000 BTU.

The Baxi Solo 30 appears to have a rating of 103,003
http://www.londonheatingservices.co...ondensing-Gas-Conventional-Regular-Boiler.asp This is a combi, right ?

But I'm not a heating engineer (or I wouldn't be asking :) ) so I'm hoping for some pointers.

Danny, the new A rated solo is rated in KW not btu's as they used to be.

I assume the OP means the 30Kw Solo HE.

OP a boiler replacement is often a lot more than just a boiler change. We on here cannot see your system so do not know what else is needed.

Maybe TRV's on the rads, new system controls, pump etc etc. I would hope that this price includes a powerflush though, mine would.

I think that price is about right, cheap even if it includes VAT, he is a decent installer and offers a full warranty.

:confused: :confused: :confused: , I'm sure you would Danny, but why would he want a combi...thought he wanted a solo?
You will get a case quite easily, suprimas on ebay all the time but you will need the original off the wall.

Hi - I understand what a BTU is and I believe that in terms of boilers, the measurement is the number of BTUs the boiler is capable of producing per hour. I also know that my now defunct Suprima was rated at 98,000 BTU.

The Baxi Solo 30 appears to have a rating of 103,003
http://www.londonheatingservices.co...ondensing-Gas-Conventional-Regular-Boiler.asp This is a combi, right ?

But I'm not a heating engineer (or I wouldn't be asking :) ) so I'm hoping for some pointers.

wrong its a boiler the same as you have :idea: [/b]

Think you may be getting confused with combi and condensing. Strangely a lot of the public do.

The solo 30 is a heat only condensing boiler.

I've known a few people to claim for a replacement boiler off contents insurance as it is water damage

Think you may be getting confused with combi and condensing. Strangely a lot of the public do.

The solo 30 is a heat only condensing boiler.

Yes you're right - I mean a condensing boiler, not a combination one. Apologies for that.

Thanks to all for their replies so far, even the ones that seem a little curt. As I explained, I know very little and was hoping for guidance but if this forum can't tolerate a lack of know-how in its posters I wonder what its purpose is. If you come posting ignorant questions on forums where I'm an expert I hope to show you a bit more leniency.

Thanks anyway for the useful info some gave.

Thanks to all for their replies so far, even the ones that seem a little curt. As I explained, I know very little and was hoping for guidance but if this forum can't tolerate a lack of know-how in its posters I wonder what its purpose is. If you come posting ignorant questions on forums where I'm an expert I hope to show you a bit more leniency.

Thanks anyway for the useful info some gave.

There is nothing wrong with asking the 'technical' questions and at 6'2" you sound big enough to understand what I'm getting at. Many people scoff at the prices they are given. Some from sheer misunderstanding, some from a dissatisfaction of others earning a crust. Then there are those that consider the heating trade as worthless low life.

Whichever it is, nearly all set out a little analytical sum of the web cost of a boiler against perceived time to complete the job. Using this method it could easily be deemed that everyone from a Harley Street Surgeon to Costa Coffee to the Window Cleaner is out to get you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back