Quote seems excessive - opinions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are doing an extension just now and are nearly ready for the electrics to be installed.

Although I'd be happy to do the electrical work myself, I understand that I am obligated to get a certificate showing its compliance to Regs.

That said, I received the quotation for 8 double sockets, all on one floor with direct access to the existing consumer unit or existing rings plus four pendant lights with single switches, and three extractor fans.

There is no chasing of wires as the walls frameworks are all still exposed.

Quotation was £2200 plus VAT.

Electrician tells me he could squeeze the new circuits into the existing (fused) consumer unit, but could install a new dual RCD one for £400+VAT.

many thanks
Guy

Sponsored Links
I don't know Scottish regulations but south of the boarder you can do the work but have to pay the local council for privilege.

As to price the only option is to get second quote. There are some many things which can change the price it is impossible to work out without being on site.

Really?

Does anyone know if this applies to Scotland? Any details would be appreciated.

Guy

Really?
Does anyone know if this applies to Scotland? Any details would be appreciated.

Part P is not applicable to Scotland. You don't require to be registered to do work either! ........ unfortunately it's a free for all. Check that the "electrician is preferably registered but has at least City and Guilds 2382 for the 17th edition of BS7671 (the wiring regulations) and has public liability insurance. Get 3 quotes if possible. Electrical work doesn't require notification to the local building authority in Scotland, unless it's part of building work requiring a building warrant e.g. work on party walls and new builds etc. See the link, there are technical publications listed, including building requirements for electrical work.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/B...tandards/publications/pubconsult/consultverif

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. I think the work is definitely notifiable, as the extension I'm working on IS subject to a building warrant (already approved), though I dn't see any specific details regarding the wiring in the plans (other than the location of sockets, switches etc).

I was under the impression I still need some sort of "certificate" for the works - even in Scotland. Is that right?

My joiner has suggested that I do the work myself and then try to find an electrician who will inspect it and sign it off. I'm not sure how practical that is, though assuming the plasterboard is not up, then I suppose checking the wiring wouldn't be TOO hard.

The plans don't specify whether the extension needs new circuits, or could be extended off the existing circuits, and although I believe installing new circuits is notifiable, I'm not sure whether extending existing circuits is.

So, I guess my question is... Just because something is "notifiable", can a DIYer without registered certifcation actually do the notifying himself?

I'm not saying I'm an expert, or even that I am fully competent, but household electrics was covered in my degree course, although that was some years ago and I would need to familiarise myself with the 17th ed for things like socket heights etc again, and I've done a lot of DIY work in electrics over the years since.

I've just checked with my local building inspectors department manager and he tells me that all new work needs to be installed to British Standard XYZ and needs to be certificated / signed off accordingly.

I've just checked with my local building inspectors department manager and he tells me that all new work needs to be installed to British Standard XYZ and needs to be certificated / signed off accordingly.

Your advisor should have given more information as applicable to their department. You need an approved certifier of construction from either SELECT or the NICEIC for the electrical work. I wouldn't rely on someone doing the work and then attempting to get a "certifier" to sign it off, see the link for Angus: -
http://www.angus.gov.uk/buildingcontrol/Certification_leaflet_Electrical_30_November_06.pdf

Yeah, that's what he said. Select, or ncesiecsse... :)

Should I ask for a materials vs labour breakdown, or would that be cheeky? Guessing materials would be less than £400, and the other £1800 for two days labour?

Bcause maybe if I could do the "first fix" by running the cables, then the labour cost would half.

If I guess that the labour cost is £1800 just now, then I'd be saving a lot of money that way.

If the materials are £1200, then I wouldn't save nearly so much, so the feasibility changes.

Bcause maybe if I could do the "first fix" by running the cables, then the labour cost would half.
No, because the electrician will have to tell you where and how to run the cables, and then check that you did it OK.

But yes - it will save you money.

Tell everyone that you ask to quote what you want to do upfront.

Just spoke to him. won't move on price and there's apparently nothing I can do myself to reduce the cost. Also tells me that it's all plasterboard boack-boxes he's using. I would prefer steel back boxes screwed to dwangs, which I'm assuming would put the cost up further.

This is so annoying, I know I can do this job to the correct standard. I have all the tools and reference docs, and a logical, methodical thought process, and the aptitude, and the time. They just won't let me :( Anyone know if there's a way I can get myself certified for <£1800?

Back to the Yellow pages...

Okay, I'm sure if we're playing with words that they will legally let me.

I just don't believe I will be able to get a completion certificate for the build if I do.

Then again, if you're asking if I'm sure then no. That's why I'm asking here.

I just don't believe I will be able to get a completion certificate for the build if I do.
You need to find out on what legal grounds they could refuse.

Then again, if you're asking if I'm sure then no. That's why I'm asking here.
Personally I'm not familiar with the Scottish legislation, but I'm PDS that you are not compelled to use an Approved Certifier of Construction, and that (for a fee) the council verify that the work complies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back