Quote seems excessive - opinions?

Hmmm. you're not the first person to tell me that, but my building inspector area manager tells me otherwise.

Is there someone else in the local authority I could ask?

I'll ask in another thread, for specifc Scottish Regs advice, as this one is primarily about the cost.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm. you're not the first person to tell me that, but my building inspector area manager tells me otherwise.

Is there someone else in the local authority I could ask?
Ask the guy you have been speaking to what legal basis there is for what he has told you so far.

Actual legislation - actual clauses, regulation numbers etc, then go off and learn about it.

Get some other quotes.

If it's as straight forward as your making out, I'd do it for just over half that price - and that would include a new CU. :).........I just live too far away.

This is so annoying, I know I can do this job to the correct standard. I have all the tools and reference docs, and a logical, methodical thought process, and the aptitude, and the time. They just won't let me.
I assume you've read this:

http://www.angus.gov.uk/buildingcontrol/electricalworknotcertified.pdf

It's going to come down to c on the b time.

That document describes what they do as verifiers regarding electrical work done by people who are not certifiers of construction.

Your task is to discuss the assertion you made above with the building inspectors and get them to agree with it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. I appreciate you looking into it for me. I hadn't read that until now but it does make things clear(er).

Not sure what you mean by C on the B time.

I'll discuss the document with them.

Hmmm. you're not the first person to tell I'll ask in another thread, for specifc Scottish Regs advice, as this one is primarily about the cost.

I think that sufficient leads to information, has been given on the requirement for building warrants and how to accomplish that. A major problem in Scotland is that there is no part P, the standards are dismal in comparison to those in Wales and England, not only because of non-compliant work by unqualified persons but also because of those working for registered electrical contractors, (moreso than Wales and England).
Many so-called electricians in Scotland, think that the latest regulations don't apply to them, I continually come across flagrant departures from BS7671: 2008, the most prevalent, being in regard to the lack of RCD protection for additional work.

I am a registered, approved contractor and a sole trader in Morayshire, my electrical qualifications include an electrical apprenticeship, HND in electrical power and City & Guilds 2382 and 2391. I moved back recently from overseas (and latterly England), to get some elbow room. :D I was operating to part P in England.

A common complaint by those with degrees of any discipline (including electrical), is that they think that because domestic installations requires comparatively low skills and educational requirements, it's easy. It does however require study of BS7671 and some practical experience as a minimum requirement, to competently carry out basic domestic work.

I have recently carried out a few periodic inspection reports on properties, at the request of the occupant, who is moving on from a council property. Alterations were made that required a non-existent building warrant, e.g. an extension or conservatory. The council (in Morayshire), has fined these people and now insist on proof that the electrics are in conformance, hence the PIR's ............... which were a fail in every case! :cry:

Regards

So with me having two quotes from the same electrician (one for the installation and another "optional" one for replacing my consumer unit with an RCD one, but agreeing that he could "squeeze" the new circuits into the old one (which doesn't have any free fuse locations)) means that he would be breaching the regulations is he didn't fit the RCD consumer unit?

If so, then that doesn't add value or credibility to his seemingly already high quote.

He is definitely registerd and would provide a certificate of installation for me, but now I'm worried that this doesn't give me any extra peace of mind at all, and is worthless other then enabling the council to pass on the responsibility for the safety of the installation to the "competent" ;) person.

So with me having two quotes from the same electrician (one for the installation and another "optional" one for replacing my consumer unit with an RCD one, but agreeing that he could "squeeze" the new circuits into the old one (which doesn't have any free fuse locations)) means that he would be breaching the regulations is he didn't fit the RCD consumer unit?

There's the rub, you appear to have only one person quoting. Get at least 3 quotes as recommended by electrical organisations, compare their methods of installation and direct the anomalies to each in turn, disregarding the pricing. I would certainly never get work done without comparative quotes.

Unfortunately, you have to assume that the person/s quoting is/are competent since they are registered as individuals or are with a company but ask for proof anyway. By analysing and questioning the different methods and equipment used in comparative quotes, you should be able to be able to self assess the most professional quote.

Regards

Not sure what you mean by C on the B time.
It's in the family which includes "Put your money where your mouth is", "Put up or shut up" etc.

The 1st word rhymes with the 2nd, which is "block", but does not refer to a male bird or the action of setting a firearm mechanism.

Get some other quotes.

If it's as straight forward as your making out, I'd do it for just over half that price - and that would include a new CU. :).........I just live too far away.

Me too :D

Get MORE quotes, unless he is the only electrician in the village

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back