Quotes vs Estimates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure this has been done to death somewhere, but a search of the forum didn't reveal anything. Sorry if this is duplicating older discussions.

Just wondering what the general consensus is about estimates in the building trade.

I know everyone claims better to get a quote, however all that seems to do is limit me to about 1/5 of the builders I've asked, since most prefer to give estimates.

I've just got an estimate for a job I need doing, and it seems reasonable, however to make matters more complicated one of the items is marked as 'provisional'! Provisional in this case meaning he needs to see what's behind something before giving a final price, which is fair enough, but I thought that's what the word 'estimate' was for :rolleyes:.

Should I just relax, get some references, and go with the flow, or should I confine myself to builders giving quotes?

thanks for any advice.
S.

Sponsored Links
What are you asking your builders to quote from? A set of technical Building Regs Approved Plans or you showing them what you want to have done? If the former then only a quotation will suffice, if the latter, well what else could you expect. Any builders who you do not like or have any doubt about mark them off the list.

Find a builder this way: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1599295#1599295

The estimate is based on the structural engineer's report + site visit. The report covers all the work to be done and lintel specifications. There are no drawings, since it's all just modifications/repairs.

So by the sound of it I need to demand a quotation for most of the bits of work (excluding the 'provisional' sum, of course).

Thanks for the link.

How many pages is the report? How specific is the list of works to be carried out? Is this a house you are buying? No builder is gonna read through a twenty page report or whatever, they'll take a walk round and give you an estimate from there. How much work are we talking here? £500 or £5000?

Sponsored Links
It's about 10,000 with the VAT. The report was a side of A4, not that much to read really. It seemed to be clear enough, and quite specific (that's the reason I paid the money to get it, didn't want any misunderstandings). I own the house.

How close are the estimates? if they're miles apart one would be suspicious, if fairly similar then you know they're probably ok.

If working to estimates you should also get hourly, daily and weekly rates for all trades that could possibly become involved. But ideally get a quotation.

If working to estimates you should also get hourly, daily and weekly rates for all trades that could possibly become involved.

I didn't ask what other trades are involved, but there is no electrical, or plastering work, this is only for the structural stuff.

How close are the estimates? if they're miles apart one would be suspicious, if fairly similar then you know they're probably ok.

This was the first estimate, the guy was recommended to me. I had hoped to avoid getting loads of estimates for this, the amount looks reasonable without being unrealistically low, and I'd like to get started ASAP. Just wanted an opinion about whether to now press for a quote before going on to maybe get a 2nd quote/estimate and references.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back