Quotes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i personally dont mind giving free quotes, but looking throught the forum (plumbers especially) some charge for coming out. yes i know some are going to be a waste of time and some people wont give you the job unless you pay them and supply products too, and walk the dog, but i feel a free quote helps get the work (if you want it).

i understand that some take the price of the quote off the job when they get it, i was just wondering other peoples thoughts on this one.

Sponsored Links
why not nose?

My Guvnor is thinking of charging 25 per quote which would be refundable if we get the job.

a normal boiler replacement quote takes me at least 30 mins (if its like for like) what with placement, flue questions and a tightness test

a conversion/new install can take up to an hour I find thats a lot of time to tie up a qualified type person who could be repairing/installing boilers.

i dont charge for any quotes either. i guess most of the competition in my line of work dont so i dont make myself uncompetative. SOme quotes can end up being long and drawn out especially with looking at different options etc, but i suppose i take the long term view that it pays off in the end

Sponsored Links
why not nose?

My Guvnor is thinking of charging 25 per quote which would be refundable if we get the job.

a normal boiler replacement quote takes me at least 30 mins (if its like for like) what with placement, flue questions and a tightness test

a conversion/new install can take up to an hour I find thats a lot of time to tie up a qualified type person who could be repairing/installing boilers.

i guess it is down to percentages. i only need to have 5 quotes accepted and the year is virtually filled. :eek:

if, on the other hand, i was in a position where i was having to quote for every day that i work, then i guess it would make sense to charge for the time.

it also seems sensible that a refund would be given for quotes accepted. ;)

good practice me thinks.

Dam rite

:)

For example I went to a quote for a new boiler (horrid ol halstead needed ripping out hoorah) last night turned up talked to the lady and asked her want she wanted, se said that she had heard that combi's are great, So i check the flow rate etc. Usual thing you could pee faster so I says

"I am sorry ma'am but your supply is inadequate"

She says

"That is what the others said, one said it would be ok"

I says

"how many agreed with me"

Shes says

"5"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so at this point she has had 7 (include old handsome here) quoting for a rather straight forward job.

to cap it all as I was leaving ANOTHER chap turned up to quote her

8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FFS I have better things to do than waste my time with these types, in the time I took talking to her about what she wanted I could have repaired a boiler and been home!!!!!

Punters dont ya just love em.

But I do agree with you nose, if you are quoting for BIG stuff and will take up all your time dont charge, but the way I see it for icckle piggley boiler changes (that are going to go to the unregistered scum bag for a song anyway) charge them.

most of my stuff is bigger stuff, and i think you learn to filter out some of the crap on the phone etc. it can be very annoying though when you spend time and get sod all back.

Had one a few weeks back. A sarah beeney type developer wanted a quote, had the estate agent with him and gave plenty of advice etc (he had no idea and many of his ideas wouldnt have worked). Do the full written quote and then get an e-mail saying he is using someone else whose doing it for cash, but thanks for the ideas. In other words pick my brains then get someone else to price it. In those instances i feel like i should charge, but then 75% of customers would put the phone down if i told them i charged.

From your point of view corgiman i see where your coming from.

the prob is thermo is that punters really underate what we do

they have no idea what we have had to to get to the point where we can suss out a job etc etc

why should they not pay for that? not as if most people go for quality, if we put in a price of 2500 for a top notch system, all up to regs etc etc, you can bet if joe polish turned up and said "I vill do it for five hundred of your pounds" they will go with him

it sucks

I much prefer repairing anyway

8 QUOTES!!!!.

that would just do my nut. :eek:

local architects have a list of their recommended 'elite', so competition is rather restricted.:cool:

i am usually competing against only two other builders.

l.a.b.c. award commendations for good work. it helps if you are on this list too. :LOL:

good work always speaks for itself. but, you need to keep the personal touch in order to maintain the reputation.

subbying can dilute the quality.

i know where you are coming from corgiman. poeple underate/ think it s quick/ easy/a diy job. Im getting a bit more thick skinned now. I have a good reputation, if people want to go elsewhere then its up to them.

I used to do sketch drawings for clients who couldnt visualise my suggestions. Didnt use to charge them, as i viewed it as a spratt to catch a mackeral. Dont do that anymore now, my time for that and they pay.

8 QUOTES!!!!.

that would just do my nut. :eek:

local architects have a list of their recommended 'elite', so competition is rather restricted.:cool:

i am usually competing against only two other builders.

l.a.b.c. award commendations for good work. it helps if you are on this list too. :LOL:

good work always speaks for itself. but, you need to keep the personal touch in order to maintain the reputation.

subbying can dilute the quality.

We only change boilers RARELY, and install full systems even less, so when I get the short straw for a quote with the General Public My heart sinks

I used to do big stuff but no more, one big job cost me a house and a marriage so I wont be doing them anymore

Never charge for quotes.

if it's a big job and I get it I always ask for my cost of materials on the day I start, remainder on day of completion.

Sponsored Links
Back