R5 gas meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon Guys,

I am currently working in a restaurant re fitting toilets, kitchen etc and the builder has asked me get someone in to run gas from the meter to the kitchen. The meter is an R5, do I need to get somebody who has commercial gas certification or does this size meter fall under domestic?

Any advice appreciated,

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your working in a commercial
kitchen then you'll need a comcat guy plus iwould gave thought a commercial pipe guy.

Sponsored Links
What makes you say its not an R5? It says MDA 16 in the top left corner if this is of any more help.

The R5 has nothing to do with capacity, it just means that the index provides a pulse switched output that can be used for on site data logging.

Look up the discussion you have a link to.

Sounds like a u16 to me.

David.

It's alright people banging on about the meter being below a u16 etc,1st stumbling block will be pipework volume,next issue is are all the domestic guys aware of all the different bits of pipework and fixings required for instance high sleeves through floors,stand offs on wallS due to chemicals used for cleaning,gas solenoid on the carcass and knock off near the door plus interlock,quarter turns before every caterflex bayonet.

Seriously stay clear and let a comcat/cmercial
pipe guy do the work,all of the above isn't mentioned in any domestic
installers book or acs.

It's alright people banging on about the meter being below a u16 etc,1st stumbling block will be pipework volume,next issue is are all the domestic guys aware of all the different bits of pipework and fixings required for instance high sleeves through floors,stand offs on wallS due to chemicals used for cleaning,gas solenoid on the carcass and knock off near the door plus interlock,quarter turns before every caterflex bayonet.

Seriously stay clear and let a comcat/cmercial
pipe guy do the work,all of the above isn't mentioned in any domestic
installers book or acs.

A u16 with 28mm off it is hardly commercial unless your dealing with an appliance over 70kw, but I agree... if it falls into commercial then you need someone qualified.

I took my gas safe inspector to a factory with a u16 and several appliances off it. He had no problem with me providing a gas cert for the company.

David.

here here or hear hear :?: Avoid it , it is a16 cu/mtr per hr which is commercial
Please read the link I put in earlier

A u16 with upto 35mm is domestic,however how many domestic guys knew all the basic requirements I posted about putting a gas line into a commercial kitchen.

I'd say very few.

A u16 with not much 35 soon takes you over 0.0035cub m or doesn't that matter.Most kitchen might have a u16 meter but will have a 2inch gas header for all the appliances.

Commercial kitchen,stick to a commercial catering engineer.it's in the name.

clf-gas";p=" said:
lcgs";p=" said:
how many domestic guys knew all the basic requirements I posted about putting a gas line into a commercial kitchen.

I'd say very few.

Me I knew, and I know some other stuff aswell. ;)

your cheating,hope your well.

here here or hear hear :?: Avoid it , it is a16 cu/mtr per hr which is commercial
Please read the link I put in earlier

A u16 is most commonly used a larger domestic meter and in small commercial properties. Its not exclusively a 'commercial gas meter'.

I have several customers who have a demand of somewhat more than a u6 metre can supply. They typically have 2 boilers, a range cooker and a gas fire for example.

Two big boilers sat above a u16 will happily run on 28. But as Ive said, if the pipework needed is 35mm then Im not happy and it needs commercial guys.

David.

God sake,u16 35mm pipe upto 0.0035 is domestic. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back