racist irish c(h)unts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was chatting to my mum the other day, As a child with a permanent sun tan, that always felt comfortable visiting her Irish home town, I naïvely worked on the assumption that as a nation of people, they weren't racists.

She recounted a story about her, at very short notice, borrowing money to fly back to Ireland to see my maternal grandmother before she was due to pop her clogs, My, London born, great grand father, refused to let my mum to see my great grandmother because my mum turned up with a non-white kid (my sister) .

My mum did an about turn and left Ireland.

I guess I had rose tinted glasses.

I was in London pub back in 2018. I was about to go home until I heard a woman from a traveler community ripping the proverbial out of a racist polish guy. She reminded him about the no blks, no Irish, no dogs signs. I came back into the pub to buy her a drink.

After what my mum told me, I am less proud of my Irish heritage.

Sponsored Links
I was chatting to my mum the other day, As a child with a permanent sun tan, that always felt comfortable visiting her Irish home town, I naïvely worked on the assumption that as a nation of people, they weren't racists.

She recounted a story about her, at very short notice, borrowing money to fly back to Ireland to see my maternal grandmother before she was due to pop her clogs, My, London born, great grand father, refused to let my mum to see my great grandmother because my mum turned up with a non-white kid (my sister) .

I was in London pub back in 2018. I was about to go home until I heard a woman from a traveler community ripping the proverbial out of a racist polish guy. She reminded him about the no blks, no Irish, no dogs signs. I came back into the pub to buy her a drink.

Don't taint all Irish as armholes. And don't be less proud.

There are different levels of racism and hatred is what I can't stand but it's their problem.

I also would have bought that Irish gypsy a drink.

Sponsored Links
Does there have to be a point.

Sometimes we get things off our chest, because it's what we're thinking at the time. And just feel like doing so.
Fine, choose a more suitable forum then, one aimed at anguish or putting the wrongs of the world to right, if there is one, not a DiY forum

main-qimg-83d9d2c8d339610868a327cdebdd5808.webp

The term emerged in the 1980s initially as “no Irish no coloureds no dogs” which a polemical pamphlet claimed was “all too common” in 1950s Britain. One historian believes the subsequent word change (from coloured to black) undermines this assertion. Terminology changes but not what was supposedly written on publicly-displayed notices in a moment in time. No verification exists for either version.

Professor Margaret MacMillan in a 2018 BBC Reith lecture said 18th century English taverns displayed “no beggars, no soldiers, no dogs”. So this three-part phrase may have long been an adaptable template.

History Reclaimed.co.uk

I remember Phil Lynott telling of his childhood in Dublin; growing up poor, black and illigitimate - it wasn't a bed of roses.

Fine, choose a more suitable forum then, one aimed at anguish or putting the wrongs of the world to right, if there is one, not a DiY forum

This is where we let our hair down and have a moan. Or tell a joke, maybe give a shoulder to cry on. Or just talk shìt like most.

Prejudice is prejudice whatever someones age, that was a cruel thing to do. I would just say that folk can be very different in outlook from the same background, as witness the warfare that goes on in the GD forum.

There's a lot of it about. In some countries it becomes government policy, and leads to state oppression and genocide.

Can you imagine a country where people of one group are allowed to walk down certain streets, or drive their cars, and people of a different ethnicity aren't?

Can you imagine a country where mains water supply or electricity is provided dependent on your ethicity?

A lot of these stories of discrimination were put about by the Irish themselves, in order to justify their own anti British prejudice.
Can you imagine a province where the election system was rigged against people of different ethnicity?

A lot of these stories of discrimination were put about by the Irish themselves, in order to justify their own anti British prejudice.
It's said the IRA put the story in circulation at the height of the bombing campiagn on mainland Britain. Almost certainly propaganda as the Irish had migrated in droves during the famine to the UK and US where they did face discrimination but nothing like the IRA claims by the end of WWII.
Irish attitudes to African/Caribbean migrants is best left under the carpet but Phil Lynott's story is typical of their experiences.

Sponsored Links
Back