rad hot at top, cool at bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The radiator in my lounge, which I think is the last one in the system, is hot at the top and cooler at the bottom. Thinking this could be a build-up of sludge, and as the rad was 24 years old, I replaced it with a convector rad. The problem is till there! Does anyone have experience of the same sort of problem?

Thanks in advance!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hot at the top and cold at the bottom indicates a very restricted water flow. What little hot water makes it into the radiator sits at the top. It may not be anything to do with the radiator itself, but could be the pipework that is gunged up.

Hot at the top and cold at the bottom indicates a very restricted water flow. What little hot water makes it into the radiator sits at the top. It may not be anything to do with the radiator itself, but could be the pipework that is gunged up.

The odd thing is ianniann that all the other rads are working perfectly. I was wondering if perhaps the pump may be failing and just not pushing that last little bit to get the water all round the system?

I have similar situation, but only when room temperature has been reached and is in a 'longish' cooling down period. With pump not running and no flow its to be expected as hot water rises. With pump running its hot all over.
I don't see it as a problem.

Sponsored Links
The odd thing is ianniann that all the other rads are working perfectly. I was wondering if perhaps the pump may be failing and just not pushing that last little bit to get the water all round the system?

Is the pump set to maximum speed and has the system been balanced?

If the pump is already running flat out you may need to restrict the flow through some of the other radiators to encourage more hot water to take the longer path via the lounge radiator.

Is the pump set to maximum speed and has the system been balanced?

If the pump is already running flat out you may need to restrict the flow through some of the other radiators to encourage more hot water to take the longer path via the lounge radiator.

Have tried running on max speed and also turning it down to 2 but no difference. The rad takes a long time to get heat through from cold. I'll try balancing the system and see what transpires.

Thanks to everyone for their help! Obviously, if anyone else has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.

Tony

The radiator hopefully has 2 valves. On one side is the valve possibly TRV that you use to control temperature and on and off. The other side is the lockshield, used to increase or decrease flow through the radiator.

The radiator hopefully has 2 valves. On one side is the valve possibly TRV that you use to control temperature and on and off. The other side is the lockshield, used to increase or decrease flow through the radiator.

I've tried increasing and decreasing the flow through the rad. It doesn't seem to make much difference. I did realise early on that I'd put the bleed valve on the wrong end of the rad and had to change it round. To do this I had to drain off some water, which I did through the bleed valve, figuring that once the water stopped, the level would be OK to remove the valve. What I did notice, even though both valves were shut off, was that the pipe on the return side of the rad was getting warm, even though it was cold when I started the process.

Well, finally I have a radiator that is hot from top to bottom!

My thanks to all who gave help and advice on this problem.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back