radial circuit with no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an end to a radial circuit in my kitchen that has no earth connection. I this normal?! It is obviously a little old, and the wires come into the box behind the sockets within a metal pipe.

Do I need to install an earth, or is the pipe supposed to act as one?

I want to extend this radial circuit to two more double sockets to run worksurface appliances (the floor area is small and there are not many socket outlets.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
depends how the "pipe" is connected at both ends.

it sounds like the "pipe" is actually conduit, and yes it is used for the earth, providing it is connected to metal at BOTH ends.

can you see a brass "nut"? holding the box to the "pipe"

can you see the consumers unit end?

are the cables you can see covered with anything, (grey insulation) or do they seem "separate"

Sorry conduit...

Yes there are brass nuts attaching the conduit to the box. It is connected to earth, but I'm not sure if that's at the consumer unit as it is not possible to see. So I'm also not sure whether the conduit is connected to earth at both ends. Is there an easy way of checking? The cables are just thick (4mm?) separate black and red cables. No earth.

If I want to extend this system can I attach the earth lead of some 3 core cable to the conduit?

Sponsored Links
you need to find out what is at the other end, because that way you will know if it has an earth or not. uoi can open the consumers unit and LOOK dont touch. is the consumers unit metal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back