Radial or ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm rewiring my new house but unsure which circuit is the best to use. The house is currently wired in various ring circuits and I was going to use the same and extend and add sockets etc but I get the impression that most rewires/newbuilds use radial circuits so is this the best way to go. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each type of circuit or is it best to use a mixture.

Sponsored Links
I think the consensus is to use the best for the layout of the house. Wire your radials in 4mm² cable, so they can be 32A and therefore not restricted. But if you can do a ring final, these are the most popular to install. 2.5mm² is easier to work with.

Are you qualified to rewire a house? Are you aware of part p?

Sponsored Links
Thanks crafty for your response.
ban all sheds, don't make assumptions. I'm 16th edition qualified with over 20 years electrical experience mostly industrial. I'm fully aware of part "p" and after having recent consumer unit installation inspected by building control I'm considered competent, in fact he said the standard of work I carried out would put many an electrician to shame. I was merely asking which circuit you experienced domestic electricians prefer and the reason why to help me decide the best route to take as I basically have a free hand and dont worry ban the installation will be fully tested.

RCD SIDE:

1. Shower - 10mm² - B type MCB of amp rating to suit
2. Louge Radial - 2.5mm² - B20 MCB
3. Dining room radial - 2.5mm² - B20 MCB
4. Bed #1 + Bed #4 Radial - 2.5mm² - B20 MCB
5. Bed #2 + Bed #3 Radial - 2.5mm² - B20 MCB
6. Hallway + Landing Radial - 2.5mm² - B20 MCB

NON RCD SIDE
7. Garage Submain - 10mm² - B45 MCB (C45 if Z's low enough)
8. Cooker/hob radial - 10mm² - B40 MCB
9. Oven radial - 6mm² - B32 MCB (drop for low powered oven)
10. Kitchen ring - 2.5mm² - B32 RCBO
11. Outside power and lighting - B20 RCBO (Outside lights Via FCU)
12. Tumble Drier - 2.5mm² - B16 MCB
13. Immersion heater - 2.5mm² B16 MCB
14. Fridge + Freezer - 2.5mm² C16 MCB
15. Spare for future expansion for Aircon - 2.5mm² - C16 MCB
16. Lights up - 1.5mm² - C10 MCB
17. Lights down 1.5mm² -C10 MCB
18. Central heating - 1.5mm² B6 MCB (Via FCU)
19. Smoke detectors - 1mm² B6 MCB
20. Alarm Panel - 1.5mm² B6 MCB (via FCU)

And that will have to do, because we have got more than will fit in most common boards :LOL: (you can get bigger ones though), this is just an idea though, If you can trim it down to 17, it'll be easier

Garage board has a ring on RCD side, and lights on non RCD and room for expansion

...but if you used an upstairs ring and a downstairs ring, you would need considerably fewer, and still have ample capacity. Rings are great and they can easily accomodate a few FCUs to save even more of those radials. If you have a Kitchen ring then it will be able to run the tumble drier and washing machine as well as all your little appliances.

I keep my Fire and Intruder alarms on the same circuit. I also have the microwave on the non-RCD Freezer radial, since microwaves are one of the things that cause nuisance tripping. The fridge is on the RCD ring.

For the lighting, I think Adam, you are saying C10 to avoid blowing bulbs tripping it? I would have said a C6 would give closer protection with fair immunity to a brief surge.

Funnily enough, I do have an absolutely enormous CU, with lots of RCBOs, but plenty of spare ways on it.

I suspect Adam might have been pulling your leg ;)

@ The OP, remember though, that what I have posted is just a rough idea of what I'd do, its not a design, merely a rough framework for you to design to BS7671 round.

@John, not sure I really like tumble dryiers on rings, its a stationary as opposed to portable load, may not be near the middle of the ring, and is a fairly heavy load and draws its power constantly for an hour or so, as opposed to in and out on a thermostat... we don't usually put immersion heaters on rings... so why put tumble dryiers on them, I accept its not usually worth the work unless you are doing a re-wire, but if you are, it makes sense to put it on a dedicated circuit IMHO

yes, I did go OTT a bit, but only a little, I'd probably trim it down to 17 and stick with that, noting wrong with having many circuits :)

Adam,

why the C16 mcb on the fridge freezer?

RMS

RMS said:
Adam,

why the C16 mcb on the fridge freezer?

RMS

Think its possible that some older ones might trip a B16 on start-up in a blue moon, sods law that it'll happen when you are on holiday, C16 has similar tolerance to start up surges as B32 (think the max z's are indentical actually), and I have never heard a F/F trip a ring breaker. I guess in most cases a B16 will never trip by nuisense, its just my overkill and 'just in case' attitude :) (luckily I didn't go as far as a non-split and a heap of RCBOs :LOL: )

Did you invent the RCBO, and get commision for each one sold?

Like that bloke that invented the cats eye

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back