Radiator Connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone give me a little information about radiators?

Which is the best side to fit the air vent screw, the flow and return pipes connect to the lower tapings each side of the radiator?

Also if I want to take a radiator off the wall, I would normally close the lock shield and the wheel head valve and then simply catch the water which is present in the radiator, as I now have Drayton thermostatic radiator valves fitted in place of the wheel heads if I turn the Drayton valve down to the * asterisk position which I think is the frost protection position will this stop the flow of water coming out of the pipe whilst the radiator is removed from the wall?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
can your trv not be turned past the frost setting to 0 to give a positive shut off.

Which is the best side to fit the air vent screw, the flow and return pipes connect to the lower tapings each side of the radiator?

either it dont matter

Also if I want to take a radiator off the wall, I would normally close the lock shield and the wheel head valve and then simply catch the water which is present in the radiator, as I now have Drayton thermostatic radiator valves fitted in place of the wheel heads if I turn the Drayton valve down to the * asterisk position which I think is the frost protection position will this stop the flow of water coming out of the pipe whilst the radiator is removed from the wall?

as long as the temp dont drop to much you usually replace the head with a decorators cap (which everybody loses) ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Seco

No the TRVs will not turn passed the * position.

is there a "o" mark past the "*" mark? if so you are probably not using enough force to turn it, most trv's should be capped off just in case they pass a little water (perhaps they will be ok, but not worth the risk of some water damage or if a sealed system the heating will not work if pressure drops)

Hi Guys
Thanks for your replies, I contacted Drayton Valves and this was their reply which maybe useful to anyone else reading this post.

Dear Sir,

The TRV4 does not have a shut off position. The valve will be closed in the frost position, however if the temp drops below 7 degrees the valve will open.
There are decorator caps available for these, which will shut off the valve completely. If you let me know your address I will send you a couple.

Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back