Radiator Cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a double rad in a conservatory with a TRV fitted, and this has been working fine for about a year. I just put now one of those MDF radiator covers over it and it seems to me that the top temperature of the rad has dropped dramatically. My thoughts are :- Is the TRV linked to ambient temp and so the thermostat is switching off due to the temp inside the cover obviously going up quick. I am toying with the idea of changing the TRV to a standard wheel valve. Will this solve the problem or am I barking up th wrong tree. Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer, but trv does stand for thermostatic radiator valve, which means it operates acording to its ambient air temperature, why not just turn it up (or down)

Look at it closely. Is the cover deflecting heat onto the valve? You may have a little extra heat billowing from the bottom if the up-current is restricted.

Are you sure the temp of the rad has dropped or has the "ouch" factor gone now that you can't touch the surface (assuming you can't - I don't know this product)?

Although they are supposed to measure air temperature, TRVs must pick up some conducted, radiated and convected heat directly from the rad since they are so close. The conducted heat wouldn't change much, the radiated may even be reduced by a cover, so it must be convected (air) heat that's upsetting the beast - if at all.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Paul for the reply. The valve is on its highest setting. I know that you obviously get a drop in output when you cover a rad with one of these covers. So in order to maximise the output I stapled the inside of the mdf with the polystyrene backed foil to reflect the heat upward and out of the top of the cover into the room. This must be creating such a temperature build up inside the cover that the therm shuts off. I feel the only option is to swap for a standard valve. I am probably answering my own question but appreciate anyones attention.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back