Radiator gets hot although thermostat is off

I would replace the complete 3 port valve as it sounds as though it has stuck mid position.

Sponsored Links
switch the fused switch
Then turn the heating etc back on see if anything happens
If no power try moving the metal level on the T piece again?

Yes - and if the heating still works look for something else that doesn't. It's nice to know where your switches are.

Then what should i look for?

If an electrical fault was holding the valve open, the spring will return it to the HW position. You will know if it's done this because you will feel resistance and hear a whirring sound when you move the lever to manual. The spring will pull it back when you let go.

My money is on a stuck valve but don't send for Aadvark Plumbing Services yet. It is usually possible to remove the control box from the valve body. It won't spew water out. Underneath the box you will find a small piece of metal sticking out. That's the bit of valve that the motor connects to. You can try freeing it by hand. Give it a good wiggle.

Hello again, i like to have knowledge at least now i now how to turn all the electrics off to the heating and hot water.

Yes that fused switch turned all the power off.

I moved the metal lever again and it is still as loose as anything, cant find anyway of getting the metal HVAC box off, is that what it is called?

Guess ill have to get my fathers plumber friend round, how much do those HVAC cost anyway will it be a big job?

If the metal head has a small 'pimple' sticking up on one end then following will apply.

There is a small grub screw to loosen on one end at the top of the metal head. Loosen this and pull the top cover plate off.

You will then see 2 brass crosshead screws, one either side. removing these will let the head be pulled off.

Sponsored Links
I did think that would be the case LOL and i guess you mean via that fused switch.

Not sure if i am confident enough to open the box.

John do you think its a game of deal or no deal

The twin phrases "Take the money!" and "Open the box!" are taken from a much older game show called Take Your Pick hosted by Michael Miles.

What is the alternative to having a go? The risk is that you will damage something in a way that will turn an un-jamming job into a complete replacement job. Unless you try to open it with a crowbar this won't happen. At worst you will be left with some bits that you can't get back together again. The potential gain is that you will succeed in freeing up the valve.

A word of advice from someone who spends a lot of time working with small parts in confined spaces; put something underneath to catch any screws that fall out. They always go where you can't reach them!

Just taking the cover off or indeed the valve head cannot damage anything even in the hands of a nervous young lady ;)

The question is why do this unless you intend to replace the head your self? which if the electric is off is well within the capabilities of most people.

As it sounds like the whole valve needs replacing, then you have to ask your self 'am I capable of draining down and replacing the complete valve?'

Sorry but i have chickened out, got a new HVAC coming tomorrow. Is it a job for the plumber or electrician?

Can you tell me roughly what this will be costing me as my father is getting the bit tomorrow.

Thank you for all help, Lisa

If you are changing the entire valve and it means draining down, then I charge £186 + VAT for this. (Oops doing a Tony here :eek: :oops: :LOL: )

Edit; including the part and new inhibitor.

The HVac was changed at the weekend by a plumber. It still need the electrician to come around and sort the wiring out as the old one had 3 wires the new one has 5 wires.

Electrician has wired it in so we can have some heating but we have no control over temperature so i turn it on to warm house up and then turn it all off again at the fuse box in the airing cupboard.

I noticed 2 rads were not heating up so plumber told me to turn all rads upstairs off and see if they warmed up one did warm up but the other is still cold.

Any ideas? Its freezing in the loo.

The rad still cold is the one in our downstairs loo that was an extension to the house so i guess it was the last rad installed not sure if that makes a difference.

Cheers Lisa

You have bought the wrong valve you had a 3 port divertor valve and have replaced with a mid position valve. Wiring will take a bit of sorting and will req someone used to c/heating wiring..

As or getting rads hot turn everyone off apart from one that is not getting hot when it does get hot do same for other then just have the 2 on that are playing up fo about twenty mins then turn all downstairs on first and when they are hot turn the upstairs back on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back