Radiator leaking out and boiler pressure gone up to 4!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, here's hoping you can help. A few days ago I posted a message about our heatline vizo boiler not igniting and some of you very kindly helped me out with some advice as the pressure on the boiler had dropped too low, I opened the valve and the pressure crept back up, closed it again and the boiler started to ignite again and was fine. I have closed the valve as tightly as it will go, but now the pressue has gone the other way and is at the max on the boiler and the radiator in my daughters room is pouring out with water which is leaking through the ceiling! Have I done something wrong? And do you have any ideas what I should do know? Hoping for some advice before having to call a plumber as they are few and far between in our area and cost the earth, but we are very short on money at the moment. Please no sarcastic comments. Many thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Sponsored Links
you sure the filling loop is fully closed.
try shutting the main stopcock and releasing some of the pressure from one of the rad valves.

shutting the stopcock will get you out of trouble till you can check the filling loop etc.

Thanks guys, pardon what will seem to you like a stupid question, which is the filling loop? The manual for it seems to have gone awol so I cant refer to a pic guide to find the parts you mention. If I take a pic of the boiler set up would that be of use? Many thanks - sorry for being so dim with this, just never had any cause to know much about plumbing before.

Sponsored Links
its the braided flexi pipe that you use to top the boiler up with water

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13806...Loop?cm_re=SEARCHPROMO-_-FILLING LOOP-_-13806

Filling loop will look something like that, remove the flexi part, not the big bits with the valve. You then need to remove some pressure form the system by opening a bleed valve on the radiator and let water pour in to a cup (will be easiest way) untill pressure reads 1 bar on boiler. You may need to get someone to look at your boiler as the pressure relif valve should open up before 4 bar, so the valve may not be working properly and will need replacing.

Okey doke. Thanks for this, i had an idea it might be that bit, have bled the radiators and that's taken it to 2.5 instead of the inital four but thats still too high so will do as you suggest with the filling loop. Here's my pics of our mess - sorry boiler set up!

The boiler was only fitted two weeks ago so surely the pressure relief valve should be in full working order. The guy was here a whole day and took up floorboards, carpets you name it, place looked like a bomb had gone off at the end of the day, not that that matters if we are having to mess about with the pressure and such already. Ive said it before but really appreciate all the help you have given and that you share your expertise for free. You probably feel like you are forever helping out simpletons who really shouldnt mess with things they know nothing about, but this simpleton is forever grateful.

lach.gif

Didnt realise it had only been in 2 weeks!. Think you should be getting him back to check it out. He should have explained everything about topping up ect before he left. You should really ask him to bring some paint with him and sort out the burn marks on the wall :rolleyes:

Lol, it's inside a cupboard so wasnt too bothered about that, more concerned with the water damage to the house! And now the radiators wont heat up! We are desperately going to need hot water as daughter has just come out in chicken pox! Looks like will just have to find the money and get on the phone. So infuriating, but you live and learn I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back