Radiator pulled off wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

If anyone has any ideas, would be much apprichiated. As i unfortunately dont have a clue!

My boyfriend has pulled away a small radiator from the wall and brackets included. the radiator is at the moment being propped up by a heavy box as i dont want to damage it by leaving it just hang there loosely.

Any ideas or tips into how to get the radiator fixed back on the wall please? Can this be done without removing the radiator, as it does bend a little back and might be able to get behind there that way?

My partner says that no more nails would work...but im not quite sure about this? I was thinking that when the radiator was on the heat would it make the no more nails soften and the radiator would then come away from the wall again!

Thanks very much!

:)

Sponsored Links
you'll have to isolate the 2 rad valves and drain the rad and remove it to
re-fix the rad brackets to the wall.

you'll have to isolate the 2 rad valves and drain the rad and remove it to
re-fix the rad brackets to the wall.

Depends what the pipework is that is supplying the rad?

Is the pipework copper or plastic? If it plastic then you will be able to lower the radiator onto the box just enough to re-fix the brackets. I would advise using collapsable plasterboard fixings (if its plasterboard that is) or brown plugs and 3" 10's if masonary. Please dont use no more nails unless you want to come home to an insurance claim

If it's copper pipework, turn both valves clockwise, vent the rad to relive pressure. Crack the nut on each valve that connects to the rad tail, lower the rad and tighten the nuts (be fairly quick)

HTH

Isolate both sides and then nip down to screwfix and get some fischer repair fixing. it will work well provided you hoover out the screw holes.

If you don't know what you are doing, I'd suggest getting a plumber in, otherwise you could empty your central heating water all over your floor.

Sponsored Links
My nightmare was having to refix rads to collapsing plaster walls. The rads were below a window in a kids bedroom and he used to stand on the rad to see out of the window. It was like putting a fixing in a cloud of powder. In the end I put wooden battens on and used everything in my armoury (including no nails, cavity fixings, screws, prayer and obscenities)

A year later it was all still there....RESULT+ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Alfredo

My nightmare was having to refix rads to collapsing plaster walls. The rads were below a window in a kids bedroom and he used to stand on the rad to see out of the window. It was like putting a fixing in a cloud of powder. In the end I put wooden battens on and used everything in my armoury (including no nails, cavity fixings, screws, prayer and obscenities)

A year later it was all still there....RESULT+ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Alfredo

LOl would rather try to fix to wet plasterboard than a no- finds poured conctre wall tho. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back