Radiator rattling noise

Sponsored Links
Might be the valve but the thermostatic ones tend to be the main offender.
1 Try altering the valve say half a turn when the rattle happens .
2 Check the rad is firmly fixed on the brackets grasp it and try to rattle it.
3 The plastic inserts for the brackets may have been left off or broken and fallen off, usually more of a ticking sound but it depends how people describe a noise.;)

This sort of thing. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PACK-OF-4-RADIATOR-BRACKET-ANTI-VIBRATION-PLASTIC-INSERTS-/171216627429

One other possibility is a foreign body like bit of solder (technical plumbing term s**t:)) from a joint has found it's way into the rad.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I know the rattle does not happen if i turn off the radiator and then put on the heating ?, but when i turn the valve to let the water in it starts to rattle.

Still try all the above just move the valve a bit, not right off you are changing the distance between the valve and seat to see if the noise changes. With thermostatic valves (usually when fitted back to front) its the valve vibrating like the reed in a wind instrument so a minor change will stop it till the thermostat moves it again.
Not all that common for non thermo valves to be noisy. Remember if it should be your valve that's noisy it could be the lock shield at the other end, internally they are identical.
Pull of the head and use a spanner to alter it a tiny bit if changing the control valve does not affect the noise. MOST important remember the position the adjustment was on the lock shield valve so you can reset it back to where the installer set it!

I assume you have vented the radiator to rule out air.

Sponsored Links
but no harm in replacing them both is there may as well as screwfix do a trv valve and lockshield for a good price, definately not air as water comes out when i bleed and also not sure if it would make a difference but the water pump is set to speed 3 ? is that ok.

bizarre i turned the radiator off at the valve but still its making the same noise ? could it be the lock shield.

tried adjusting lockshield made no difference. cant work out if its pipes or rad, will try a flush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back