Radiators and Dry Lining

Sponsored Links
Plenty of space could mean anything.......the width ofrad valve even.....how many times have u fitted a rad close to a perpendicular wall? Or what about rads with side plates? StelradCompacts for example....they are fully enclosed with just the top being open.........ive just hada brainwave....why dont the 3 of us come up with some new radical radiator design which incorperates all of these things....they can be called....

RADICAL RADS!!!!!!!

;)

Plenty of space could mean anything.......the width ofrad valve even.....how many times have u fitted a rad close to a perpendicular wall? Or what about rads with side plates? StelradCompacts for example....they are fully enclosed with just the top being open.........ive just hada brainwave....why dont the 3 of us come up with some new radical radiator design which incorperates all of these things....they can be called....

RADICAL RADS!!!!!!!

;)
If you delve back a couple of thousand of my posts or so, you will see that I also had an idea of manufacturing a new type of magnaclean (basically a magnet on a radiator). Maybe we could incorporate the two ideas - self cleaning rad with maximum heatflow. Must be a market for it!

Hi,

an interesting conversation! Put me down for around about 10 of these radical rads when you get them off the ground.

The radiators in question (3 of them) are boxed in on 3 sides, top, and both sides, with a space of about 1.5cm above, and about 6 cm to each side (plenty of space for valves) and when spring comes, TRVs.

So, is the general conscencus that this is good or not - we have metal reflective sheets on the back of each radiator, however the underneath of the drylining above the radiator does seem to be retaining a fair bit of heat.

What I have considered, is if the dry lining is to stop, putting some polystyrene covered in metal (as sold at B&Q) on the top surface to help the heat be deflected - any thoughts on whether this would be beneficial?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Arguments about efficiency aside, I reckon aesthetically it’s bloody awful. :LOL:

I think that the OP's info that there is only 15mm space at the top of the rads is conclusive.

That little space means that the convection cycle is DEAD, more or less. If it had been 60mm at the top, then poss it would have been OK. If nothing else, the structure being so close will absorb some of the heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back