radiators and valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when should i think about changing the valves and radiators in my house as they were put in when the house was built in 1987,

How long does a radiator last ?

Also how often should the valves be changed ?

Sponsored Links
If there are no signs of rust then I can't see a reason to change them, newer rads might be a bit more efficient but you have to offset that against the cost of the rads and installation.

Trv's do have a shelf life and if you use them ad opposed to just having them full open, then these might be worth changing to liquid sensor ones.

The lock shield side, ad long as they don't weep and still move, leave them be.

Some of the rads in my house are over 50 years old, so it's anyone's guess how long they last. Making sure that your system has the correct concentration of corrosion inhibitor in it will help stop them corroding internally. A magnetic system filter like a Fernox TFi or Magnaclean helps keep crud out of the boiler and rads.

As for TRVs, I would change them only if they started causing problems. Regular maintenance of your system will keep it running efficiently.

how can i change the valves without driaing the system ?

how do you drain a system ?

Sponsored Links
You cannot really.

Some people use a bung on an OV system but not advisable over a customner's new cream carpets!

With this type of system you can create a vacuum, and change the valves and rad without any problems.

I wouldn't advise this for DIY though.

You need to tie up the ball valve on the small tank in the loft and look on the rads downstairs for a draincock hopefully on one of the rads near to the front or back door.

would you have a picture of what im looking for ?

when i refil is there anything i should be aware of

sorry to say it & i'm all for saving money & people having a go, but if you don't know what a drain off looks like then this isn't a job you should be doing & def don't even try to go down the airlock route.

when should i think about changing the valves and radiators in my house as they were put in when the house was built in 1987,

How long does a radiator last ?

Also how often should the valves be changed ?

If it aint broke, don't fix it!!

Why do you even ask?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back