radiators coming on when not needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My radiators have started getting hot even though they are not timed to switch on and thermostat is turned right down. They are also not showing as having switched on on my boiler control panel. They only come on occasionally.
My boiler is a 4 year old Vaillant Combi.
Any advice on what the problem is and how much to expect to pay for repair is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It would help to confirm the model number and to say if the hot water is always working normally also where you are prices are more in leafy Surrey and less in the deprived North.

If its the 824/828 then I would suspect the diverter valve but that would often prevent hot water when you want it.

Parts about £95 and fitting is whatever the firm charges. We would charge our standard diagnostic charge in smokey London.

Tony

A fair proportion of those Diverters fail to go fully to either CH or HW, so you get some rads warming on HW call, and reduced output on CH.
HW still works, but not as well as it should.

Thanks for the quick replies. It is an 824/2e. Hot water seems to work ok and radiators only come on occasionaly and cool down after a couple of hours.
I am in Redditch, Worcs if anyone wants to give me a quote!
Cheers
Pete

Sponsored Links
If you have the keep-hot option turned on (solid green led), the rads will warm up whenever it does that, so best turn it off until DV fixed. (Turn water temp knob to far left for a few seconds).

Nobody should give you public quotes on this forum.

If you want to contact us or anyone else for a quote then you should contact us from the contact details given in our profile. Or at the very least put your contact details in your profile so we can contact you.

You have to click on the forum name when its in a listing such as the last post.

Tony

Thanks for the replies and advice. Doesn't appear to be anyone local registered on the forum so will search local paper.
Cheers

We cover your area on a secondary basis if you wanted to wait a few days but see what your local prices are like and email me directly!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back