Radiators cooler (not cold) at bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The four largest radiators on my system are always cooler at the bottom. Not cold though. There's just a noticeable difference in temperature when touched. I've not got any device to measure the difference. These are 1600x600 double panels in the hall and downstairs rooms. All of the smaller radiators in the kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms feel equally hot top and bottom. The heating engineer who serviced the boiler told me all radiators are colder at the bottom than at the top. They explained heat rises inside the radiator and as it cools down the water drops to bottom and through the return pipe back the boiler. I have noticed that all of the four feel hotter at the bottom side near the thermostatic valve. The heating engineer recommended fitting a magnaclean device to our system.

I've read lots of threads that also mention balancing the system and fitting a pump to the boiler.

Any thoughts from the community?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back