Radiators downstairs not working properly - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having paid £4000 for a new boiler we were informed by someone changing a radiator in the kitchen that our boiler was a condensing boiler and as such would not work efficiently on our old 1 pipe system. We then paid a further £3000 to convert to a two pipe system. We were told it would be much better and we would notice the difference immidiately. It was mildly better but some radiators still didnt get very warm (The attick room particularly which was one of our main motives for getting it done.) That was about a year ago and its been working ok aside from the above until now.
We have just had a new radiator and non electric shower with a new bathroom and now the radiators downstairs are taking ages to come on so its like an oven upstairs but cold downstairs. The kitchen radiator (Which is new) isnt coming on at all for about an hour unless we put the heating upto 24. The pipe that comes upto it is really hot but then its not getting in? The other radiators down stairs a luke warm also for about an hour. I thought it could be a blockage in th ekitchen but the radiator was new about a year ago and the valve is permanently left on. I called the bathroom fitter but he said he hadnt drained the system, just the bathroom radiator and readjusted the pressure (Which I've checked) so it wouldn't be anything he'd done. Basically now hes had his money he wasnt interested. I've tried bleeding the radiators but they are all fine. I am a complete novice but am wary to call a plumber out again for him to tell me "It going to cost you" ... any help or ideas to try would be appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Turn off the hot ones upstairs and see if the downstairs rads get hot.

If so then it will need to be balanced.

Andy

7K - someone`s grinning like a Cheshire cat - there`s plumbers and Plumbers - sorry to hear of your plight , but I`m in Sussex twiddling my thumbs in retirement ;)

Sponsored Links
May seem like an obvious question but are the lockshield valves open sufficiently? (These are the valves at the opposite end of the rad to the inlet valve and are used for balancing the system).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back