Radiators getting hot when CH turned off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I've had a look in the wiki but I can't find any reference that applies to my problem, sorry if there is and I've missed it!

I've just noticed this morning that the radiators get hot when I've got the CH timer set to 'water only', mentioned it to the wife and she said it's done it since we moved in 10 years ago!

This can't be normal surely?

The system is made up of a wall mounted boiler(not a combi) and the timer is just a mechanical one with only 2 settings 'water only, and 'water and heating' I'm no expert but I'd expect the radiators to only get hot when on the water and heating setting.

Any ideas as with the weather getting warmer I'd like to stop the radiators getting hot!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok so you are saying this motorised valve is probably stuck and is letting hot water flow around the radiators when it should just be going to the hot water tank?

Is that the only possible cause or could it be something else?

I've found a few pics of what the valve should look like so I know what I'm looking for, question is where is it likely to be? Am I going to have to start pulling up floorboards?

Sponsored Links
99% most likely.
Look near the pump and hot water cylinder.
It may be the "top" electrical motor operating part --in which case you can replace just the head mechanism. Otherwise the mechanical valve may need freeing or replacing.

Well I've had a look around and can't find it anywhere easily accessible :(

There are some uneven floorboards in our main bedroom and landing, which look like they have been lifted and not put back very well so I'm hoping it's under there somewhere, should be able to have a look at the weekend!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back