Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All of the water in my radiator system was drained in March as I needed a new radiator fitting. Due to the nice weather back in that month, I only turned the heating system on 3-4 times more, yet one radiator needing bleeding as a lot of air had got (although I think that after a drain out, one should expect to have to bleed a radiator - is this correct??). Due to the colder weather now the time has come to turn on the central heating system again. If the radiator keeps filling up with air what would happen I was away for a while and unable to bleed it .... would the air eventually fill all of the radiators on the system or just block out the defective radiator and leave the other ones alone?

Sponsored Links
On Friday evening in London it was 15°C at 2200 hrs.

Thats a pretty warm evening!

I certainly dont want any heating on at the moment and will be sleeping soon with the window open!

Tony

sounds like the rads are corroding, and making gas.

did you flush, and refill using corrosion inhibitor?

Why was the system drained?

Was it internally clean?

Was a dose of chemical corrosion inhibitor added when refilling?

Sponsored Links
Why was the system drained? Yes it was

Was it internally clean? Yes indeed

Was a dose of chemical corrosion inhibitor added when refilling? Yes again

I've no idea - it is a central heating sytem - please answer the question!

If you answered my question perhaps more of us could help rather than guess :rolleyes:

The boiler is a potter and apart from the radiators being white and their being 4 downstairs and 3 upsatirs I can help you no further.

Let's try guessing:

I think it's an open system with a feed & expansion tank in the loft, full of brown sludge.

I also think he's got a hot-water cylinder

I think he's got a pump by the cylinder and a three-port valve electrically operated with a room stat and a cylinder stat.

The reason for draining was to fit a new radiator, which was a different size to the old one so it wasn't enough to just close the rad valves.

When he took the radiator off the water was clear and there was no black sediment.

I think he lives in a hard-water area.

No chemical cleaner was used to loosen the old sediment so it has probably settled and hardened inside the boiler, which now clonks and gurgles when it is started up.

He's also got an immersion heater in the cylinder which he was using during the summer. His boiler is a 30-year old Potterton Flamingo and it has not been serviced for 6 years.

Who else wants to make a guess?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back