Radiotor Problem HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone can help me. I have a couple of radiators in my house that are not working and its -4c. I have a vailiant boiler. 2 rads work upstairs out of 3. I have bled them all and checked the boiler is at 1.5 bar rating. 1 of the radiators feels moderately warm at the top but cold at the bottom. Down stairs 3 radiators work - one has a small leak (plastic pipe on this one!). However 1 is stone cold. All rads downstairs have been bled for air - no problems here. What is the general opinion relating to the prob. Some people have said I may have an air lock - how do I get rid of this, some have said I may need a new pump. Please help. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Airlock is very unlikely.
Could be flow problem due to tired pump or blockage.
Might need balancing.
Possibly external bypass somewhere or internal one letting by, or flow and return pipe connected in a loop.
How long have you had the problem?
Ever had all the rads on at the same time and all fully hot?

Only recently discovered the problem as I only moved into the house this year. I have tried turning off some of the radiators to see if this works - but still all cold.

Sponsored Links
Are the pipes hot or cold either side of the radiators. If one pipe is really hot, the rad and other pipe cold, then this could be an air pocket or down to a sludged up system, or a sticky valve on the radiators.

I had a simialr issue with our radiators, and after days of playing about with bleeding / venting and trying to force water through I opted for the drastic measure of ripping out and replaceing the complete radiator circuit. Cost was just under £650 ( a little more than the cost of a powerflush) for all the parts including 5 new rads, and it took me three weekends, but the house is now really warm and cozy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back