Rain penetrating ridge tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a fiberglass topping to my loft flat roof last year. On Monday the drought rain found it's way through the ceiling.

Examination showed the ridge tiles had very little mortar at the bottom so the laying water was pushed by the wind through the gap.

I mortared the whole row of ridge tiles on roof yesterday. Last night more heavy rain and again water dribbled down wall (but less so). There is no other place water could get through so I assume mortar is letting in water till it cures.

How long before mortar stops water seeping through?

Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
Yes, the ridges are bedded directly onto the GRP roof.

New roof has been up 6 months & withstood a lot of rain in the past but recent intense rain with strong winds have shown a problem.

Hmm, I think you are always going to have issues there as the mortar will never create a tight seal to the GRP so allowing water to find its way through in heavy weather and wind blown rain. If the ridge line is not above the line of the back of the GRP roof there should really have been a drip taken to the opposite slope rather than a ridge bedded there.

Have you a photo that you could post?

Sponsored Links
There should be some felt or a membrane or something beneath the ridges to catch any water getting past them, and this should then dispel water onto the flat roof

The only barrier is the mortar under the ridge tile. I have now re-mortared at bottom of tile where it it sits on GRP. I think a puddle formed & the wind blew water through new mortar.

Tried to send a pic before mortar.

//www.diynot.com/network/Peterade/albums/

Thanks for helping.

A professional roofer did the job. It was felt & pitch before but he recommended this for a longer life.

professional my arse, have you contacted him and told him your problem.

sounds like the grp has not been taken high enough under the ridge, allowing the water to blow / be sucked up.Ideally there should be a water check detail formed with in the upstand.
Youll need to take the ridge off attached a piece of timber and glass over it. rebed ridge.

Thanks datarebal.

Do you think roofer would come back & do that without charging me again?

About 1/2 pint of water ran down our wall in severe conditions. It only came from one point so it may be a gap in the barrier.

Thanks for your ideas.

No. He removed all tar and existing ply then re-laid new board etc.

The new grp roof isn't leaking but water is getting in under the ridge tiles.

cheers

I would have put a D260 trim to catch any water getting past your ridge Tiles, It is a roofers job to stop water getting into your property, why should he not come back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back