Rainwater Drainage question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, I'm not sure what section to put this in, so sorry if it's in the wrong section.

I am currently in the process of building a large domestic garage / workshop. There is nowhere really practical to drain the rain water too, (without having a massive soak away in the middle of my lawn, which I'd rather not dig up)

I was thinking I could connect the rain water into the main foul drain, (which is currently easy to access). What are the laws about this, and if I did, is there such a thing as a 110mm U bend or something to trap the smells from coming from the rain water drains?

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
Hi Jim
It all depends on if your sewer is combined (waste and surface water) or seperate.
If combined no problem however if seperate you have to discharge into the surface water drain.
Your water supplier can tell you or even your local building control if they have comprehensive drainage maps.
Eitherway a gully trap should be installed to protect from smells.
Pete

Even if it is a combined sewer you might find that the local sewerage board will resist you adding any additional flows into that pipe.

-Neil

Sponsored Links
each downpipe will discharge into its own gulley unless proximity allows otherwise. the gulleys can all be linked to the same 110mm system, again dependant on proximity.

You can discharge into a foul drain but only if a dedicated surface water drain is not available, a soakaway is not reasonably practical and there is no water course nearby. (in that order)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back