Raise water tank in the loft

if you're over 40 you'll visit bathroom in the middle of the night and wake the household :rolleyes:
Anybody doing this a lot should grit their teeth and ask their GP to refer them to a man who'll stick his finger up their b*m...

Sponsored Links
And some more non-plumbing advice (actually, I suppose the above is plumbing related :confused: ).

Check the legalities of what you can do in the loft.

Check the structural implications of raising the tank.

Is Gledhill the only provider of vented hot water storage tanks (economy 7 range) in the UK? Which is the best brand I should go for?
I’ve no experience of Gledhill personally, take the advice of your plumber.

My plumber advised me to replace the existing water tank with a bigger one as I'll be using a much larger cylinder with 166l capacity. What sort of larger tank would I need then? And how big?
Aim for minimum water storage of 250 litres cold & 150 litres hot.

As I told you, he plans to lift the tank by 2 metre with a wooden base. Anty tips on how to build such a high platform? Is wood the right material to support the tank?
I would hope your plumber/fitter would know what he’s doing regarding construction. Basically it’s a large table but it must be of sufficient strength & cross braced to support the weight & suitably supported over the rafters. I would use 4” x 2” for the platform & minimum 18mm WBP for the ply base fully supporting the tank base.

As for the shower head, is the one below good enough? It's a Grohe Rainshower and apparently it needs at least 1.0 bar pressure... my pump will be a Stuart turner Monsoon Universal 2 bar twin. Is it ok? Would the system work?
That would be OK but as I said previously, if you fit an angled shower head over a bath, your going have water everywhere when you shower. I always recommend something that points directly downwards over a bath;
http://www.taps4less.com/PP/U-A3241.html

Last but not least, I have some disgusting smell coming from the cupboard below the basin. It looks like my toilet is connected to the basin with a flexible pan connector like the one below:
I don’t really understand how the loo can be connected to the basin; do you mean the other way around? Flexy connectors are not ideal & I don’t see how yo can connect a basing waste into one, can you post a photo?

I don’t really understand how the loo can be connected to the basin; do you mean the other way around?
2_20seater.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard,

I'll post some pictures of my bathroom asap. In the meantime I was wondering whether I should get a Foam Lagged Hot Water Cylinder or a Steel Ace one. Gledhill produces economy 7 cylinder in both materials. The Steel Ace ones are 100 quid more expensive. Is it worth the money?

Below the links I'm checking:

Foam Lagged

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/gledhill-economy-7-direct-vented-foam-lagged-hot-water-cylinder/

Ace Steel

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/gledhill-economy-7-direct-vented-steel-ace-hot-water-cylinder/

What's the best product in terms of usage, maintaince and life expectation?

Thanks!

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back