Raised Patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im looking to build a raised patio using oak sleepers along the front. I planned on laying a concrete foundation then laying the sleepers on top with a layer of pea gravel between to stop them laying in any water that might build up, and also help with drainage.

Can anyone see any problems doing this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It sou8nds ok but remember that timber (even oak) will shrink a bit over time so account for that with perhaps a narrow french drain around the paving.

If not you may end up with unattractive and uneven gaps around the edge of the paving.

I would have done so on the slate paving and sleeper job below along the bottom of the seating area but they wanted it up to the edge of the timber.

212000_211133_92263_68235535_thumb.jpg

Im looking to go two railway sleepers high, so 400mm. Im going to use some 12mm rebar to fix the first sleeper in place then screw the second one down.

Here's an idea of what i want to do shape wise. Not sure on the step yet tho

Sponsored Links
Should be fine but as ian said you can't pave right up to them.

Please don't use sleepers as the steps even though its so handy. They are a death trap when wet.

use sleepers for the sides by all means but use concrete paving and kerbs for the steps.

I think i will use the sleepers to edge the step but have it paved for the most part and if it gets slippy then use some chicken wire. I really like the way the wood surrounds the steps but i know what you mean about getting slippy, decking is the same!

Could i back fill behind the sleepers with some kind of stones or similar to allow for shrinkage, then pave up to the stones. So sleeper, stones then slab?

Thanks for the replys

You can top the steps with slabs as it looks great.

On this job the customer did not want the steps going directly out due to grandchildren running and going over the end. He also did not want it turning 90 degrees as it would require cutting back the conifer so much it would look awful.

So i turned it 90 degrees and curved it away from the conifer.

And here is another that worked out great.

You can top the steps with slabs as it looks great.

On this job the customer did not want the steps going directly out due to grandchildren running and going over the end. He also did not want it turning 90 degrees as it would require cutting back the conifer so much it would look awful.

So i turned it 90 degrees and curved it away from the conifer.

And here is another that worked out great.

Looks good mate.

How would they be secured?

Looks good mate.

How would they be secured?

A solvent based adhesive, if the wood dries out and moves a lot they may loosen but just goop em down again and its unlikely to happen again

The bottoms of those slabs were not flat so i had to make up in some places.

The rules actually say that the height of the decking must not exceed a height of 300mm above the highest natural ground level that you're decking over.

And if i decided to build it anyway without permission whats the worst that could happen?

My garden slopes up anyway but it would be hard to prove as i would pave over it anyway.

Well the very worst that could happen is that the Local Authority could have your illegal decking removed and you would foot the bill for the labour costs and their court/legal costs.

Though there's lots that would happen in the interim.

Hard for whom to prove what?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back