Raised Patio

Sponsored Links
I certainly don't recommend laying a stone slab on a timber step and i'm surprised any professional being happy to do so.

It just will not last and need constant re-bedding/ sticking.

More of an issue though is the danger of flipping a slab onto the back of your ankle as you step on the edge overhang.

Its quick and easy to construct and is a nice continuity to use the timber but it just isn't right

I think for the sake of 100mm i would keep it 300mm high, its not worth the hassle. I can lay the first sleeper flat and rest the 2nd one upright.

Thanks for the heads up on that one Mr sheds! :D

I have this section of boundary wall that will be the edge of my patio. Its fairly old and doesn't feel that sturdy and next doors garden drops down slightly from my garden level so doesn't have much support from soil.

Two questions:

1. would you use some concrete blocks built up against the existing wall to add some strength? I would like to use breeze blocks as you wont see it and is cheeper than sleepers.

2. If i lay a concrete foundation would i be better removing the old concrete and fence posts, and attach them to my patio once built. Also there is a large root from next doors holly bush that i feel would need to come out also?

Sponsored Links
Any help guys?

First time attempting something like this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simply placing a few breeze blocks against it will have no benefit at all. Either use some concrete against it or fill as normal.

If you plan to build them the blocks that would help and make sure you fill the gap between them with something. A slurry of mortar would flow well into all gaps

As for the fence post better not disturbing it if its solid and the concrete isn't protruding into your new patio. Bolt down fence posts are rubbish.

Simply placing a few breeze blocks against it will have no benefit at all. Either use some concrete against it or fill as normal.

I was worried about the wall not being able to support the weight, and a low breezeblock wall would add some strength before i fill in behind.

If you plan to build them the blocks that would help and make sure you fill the gap between them with something. A slurry of mortar would flow well into all gaps

As for the fence post better not disturbing it if its solid and the concrete isn't protruding into your new patio. Bolt down fence posts are rubbish.

I wanted to build against the stone wall to get the maximum space. If i was to build it as close as possible and then pour a mortar mixture down the gap to fill any void? Which would probably leave me no choice to remove the fence post. The rest of the fence would still be posts, its only the section where i plan to put my patio that would need to use bolt down posts.

What about the root? Concrete over the top or cut and dig out to give me an even foundation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back