raising garden level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a small garden 6x10metres which is water logged for most of the year
,winter is about its best time when its frozen.
i want to try and raise the level 3 or 4 inches and slab over the top.

what would be bes way to raise it mot, gravel/shingle or something else

Sponsored Links
You will need to dig off at least 4 inches to get rid of the soft topsoil maybe more depending on conditions. Then bring it up with compacted mot.

60 square metres is a big area to try and change levels.

EG once you dig off 4 inches and then add on the 4 you want to raise it you'll be looking at over 20 tons of MOT for a 60 sq/m

Do you need to raise it? installing adequate linear drainage along with the paving should keep sort out the flooding and save you a fortune trying to bring it up a further 6 inches.

Both side have raised theres(one decking and slabs other side gravel and slab pathways raised and its made my problem worse.
It wont quite be 60 m as theres a large old shed base , a concrete path running full length etc but still a lot when you work it out like that .

im only hopping to be able to get to my shed at other end with out walking through 2 inches of water .The nearest drain is a rain water to a inspection chamber and its about 4 m away from start of garden as all drains are at front.

just dug some fence posts in this morning and 200mm down and water runs through the sides of the hole like ive found my own stream.

Sponsored Links
10 tons in so far , raising nicely , its about the height i want it to be now but still haven't compacted it with a whacker.
Its getting pretty hard standing just with me walking and the kids running over it.
Just have to see how much the wacker will lower it , is there like a rule of thumb that it will drop so much etc or is it just do it and find out .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back