Ran out of Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stupidly we ran out of oil having not realised that the depth gauge was no longer working. Having a full tank of oil now, we are unable to get the boiler going properly. We have pressed the reset button, but unfortunately the boiler only fires for about 10 seconds before switching itself off again. I am assuming we have air in the system. Our boiler is a very old and enormous Jetstreme MkII. Is it possible to bleed this myself? Would anyone reading this know where I can get more information on bleeding this particular boiler? Or quite by chance, is anyone familiar with this boiler and knows how to do it!?

Sponsored Links
Turn off the oil using the valve that should be somewhere near the boiler. Undo the end of the flexible pipe that is nearest to the boiler, or if you havent got one undo a suitable pipe connection, put the end of the pipe into at least a 2 litre container, turn on the oil valve. Run more than a litre, and preferably two, into the container, then turn the oil off and reconnect the pipe.

I suggest you wear washing up gloves while you do all this, the oil stinks!!!

Wipe the oil from round the connector, and check for leaks.

If the oil didn't flow freely from the pipe you will need to change the filter near the tank (if you have one). Replace the sight gauge as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back